Autopilot, Motion Planning Engineer
Tesla is looking for a strong software engineer to drive the future of autonomy across all current and future generations of vehicles. Software is core to Tesla’s Autopilot, and motion planning is a key part to level 5 autonomy. As a Software Engineer on Motion Planning, you will contribute thought leadership and development horsepower across the entire product lifecycle in a highly collaborative environment. Most importantly, you will see your work repeatedly shipped to and utilized by Tesla’s customers.
A strong candidate will possess expertise in programming (especially C++ and Python), have shipped code for a product that was delivered at scale, and share a passion for Tesla's mission to accelerate the world's transition to autonomy and sustainability.
- Develop and implement motion planning software and algorithms for autonomous vehicles
- Assist with overall autopilot software architecture design, including designing interfaces between subsystems
- Model both navigation and obstacle avoidance in a dynamic environment
- Conduct high-level system design and analysis
- Ship production quality, safety-critical software to the entirety of Tesla’s vehicle fleet
- Production quality C++
- BS in Computer Science, Robotics, Physics, similar field(s) of study, or equivalent practical knowledge
- Experience with solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra
- Shipped safety-critical software in a fast-pace environment
- Ability to rapidly prototype and test new algorithms
- Ability to tackle open and unsolved problems
- Experience in developing embedded systems with real-time constraints
- Hands-on experience in robotic or autonomous vehicle system design and implementation
- Experience with both simulation and hardware implementation
- Experience with large scale software development
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.