A CMF Designer at Tesla’s Design Studio is responsible for the color, material, and finish design of future Tesla vehicles. As part of this team, you will be creating and executing world-class products in terms of form, function, and luxury.
As a part of this fast-paced design team, you are involved in every aspect of the design process. This includes trend research, analysis and translation, mood and story creation, development of CMF strategy, and executing final color, materials, and finishes for production.
A successful CMF Designer demonstrates the ability to create compelling and innovative solutions that push boundaries while collaborating with suppliers and cross-functional teams to ensure successful implementation into production. Our ideal CMF Designer holds high standards for quality, attention to detail, builds strong relationships with other team members, and enjoys a dynamic work environment.
- Ideate, visualize, and develop design proposals for colors, materials, and finishes for Tesla designs.
- Develop digital and physical CMF presentations that show a future vision for Tesla designs.
- Collaborate and strategize with cross functional teams, including design and manufacturing, to implement production of final CMF designs.
- Analyze and approve color, materials, and finishes for all vehicle exterior and interior surfaces.
- Guide design execution of colors, materials, and finishes for both prototype and production vehicles.
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors. Includes identifying new resources for materials to ensure innovative designs.
- Independently source and maintain a comprehensive internal library of inspirational, advanced, and relevant materials and finishes.
- Manage design intent through color tuning and material mastering all commodities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Textile Design, Color and Material Design, or the equivalent in professional experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
- 4+ years of CMF experience, preferably within the automotive OEM space.
- Must have demonstrable technical knowledge of mass production, manufacturing processes, and materials.
- Demonstrate high color acuity and ability to pass the Munsell Hue Color Test with a perfect score.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
- Exceptional visual, communication, and presentation skills.
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office.
- Must be self-motivated, adaptable, flexible, and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to deliver successful designs under tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.
** All candidates MUST submit a portfolio/personal website to be considered for this position. **
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.