Tesla is breaking the mold and changing the way the world looks not only at electric vehicles, but also at the paradigm of human transportation and clean energy. Our electric vehicles and energy products do not compromise on performance, luxury, or utility. Nor do we compromise on the people that make our products happen.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing the top talents in any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone.
· You must have a genuine passion for designing electric vehicles. Without passion, you would find what we're trying to do too difficult. There are much easier jobs.
· You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company.
· We are building real products -- not presentations. This must excite you. You must be a builder.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, health benefits, a fun work environment and the chance to make a real contributory impact on the world.
As a Creative Manager in Tesla’s China Design Studio Team, you will be responsible for the design development of future Tesla vehicles. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class vehicles in terms of form, function and luxury.
Using your considerable production design experience and innovative thinking, you will primarily be tasked with creating designs for future cars but may also be called upon for other design tasks (product design, spaceship design, etc) based on your skillset. Our design team prides itself on being multitalented and flexible, and we look for the same in our potential candidates. You will report to the Design Manager and this position resides in Tesla’s Design Studio in China.
- Develop design proposals for Tesla vehicles, ranging from broad design themes all the way to component-level design.
- Create compelling sketches that show a vision for the future of Tesla design.
- Guide a design from the sketch phase to concept modeling in Alias or clay, and through to A-class surfacing.
- Work with engineers to come up with design and engineering solutions that serve the design vision and also fit with the engineering constraints.
- Participate in cross-functional strategy, timing, and process discussion as it pertains to vehicle development.
- Work with CMF designers to create designs that consider the opportunities and limits of the color and trim vision, and work with them to create a unified vision for the designs.
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design vision as possible.
- Mentor junior designers and interns and provide technique/approach guidance where needed between reviews.
- Collaborate with the fabrication team to complete prototypes when necessary.
- Occasionally participate in design efforts outside of your area of expertise as necessity and as your own skillset dictates.
- Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Automotive or Transportation Design with a minimum of 8 years of experience in production automotive design -- or a combination of advanced and production design.
- Must understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering of premium cars and have examples or a portfolio of completed programs.
- Must have in-depth technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, and assembly processes as it relates to automotive design.
- High level of skill taking 2D sketches to 3D modeling in Alias and clay.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
- Exceptional visual and oral communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Demonstrated an ability to deliver successful designs under tight timing
constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.