Electrical Engineer Internship - Motor Modeling & Technology Development
Please note: In order to be considered, you must be enrolled in higher education for the full duration of the internship.
Location: Athens, Greece
Duration: 6 months
Start date: September 2020
The internship assignment
Tesla is seeking an Intern Electrical Engineer at the last year of their MSc studies (preferably at the conclusion thesis), modeling and measuring electric motor problems. This person will be working as part of the Tesla motor technology team located in Athens, Greece, towards development of magnetic measurement configurations for deriving the magnetic properties of a broad range of hard and soft magnetic materials. The internship comprises both theoretic study through simulation and experimental validation in the lab.
Learning goals and Tasks
- Understand the basic physics and electromagnetics behind the operation of electrical machines and gain experience in high fidelity modelling of the respective phenomena
- Identify theoretical and practical limitations of measurement setups for various frequency and field levels.
- Gain expertise in magnetic measurements and magnetic materials
- Deep understanding of physics behind iron loss.
- Gain expertise in motor design and iron loss modeling.
- MSc studies (ongoing) in Electrical Engineering/Electromagnetics
- Strong mathematical and physics background
- Very good understanding of electromagnetics and electric circuits
- Strong MATLAB programming skills
- Experience analyzing electric motors using Finite Element Methods
- Experience using power analyzer/oscilloscope
- Fluency in English
The following will be considered as plus
- Electrical machines, power electronics and control fundamentals
- Understanding of electrical, thermal and mechanical modeling
- Understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer, high voltage and low voltage DC circuits
- Experience with modeling losses in electrical machines
- Knowledge of electrical measurements
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.