Policy Advisor - Energy
The Policy Advisor will be responsible for coordinating Tesla's outreach to local government policymakers for purposes of accelerating the deployment of Tesla's products including solar, “Solarglass,” battery energy storage, and electric vehicles, as well as supporting energy regulatory matters at Public Utility Commissions around the country.
Working closely with Tesla’s operations teams, the Policy Advisor will primarily focus on addressing the numerous permitting and inspection issues that make the deployment of residential solar and storage in the US particularly slow and cumbersome. In prioritizing outreach to policymakers and senior leaders at high-volume cities and counties with notable impediments, the Policy Advisor will support Tesla's push to reduce the "soft costs" of distributed energy resources.
The Policy Advisor will support ad hoc municipal engagement for commercial and utility scale energy products, and will also contribute to the development of positions and participation in Public Utility Commission regulatory proceedings and state policy discussions related to solar and storage products.
Location: Palo Alto, CA or Washington, DC
· Collaborate with local governments and build strong local relationships to accelerate the deployment of solar, storage and electric vehicles. Specifically, refine local government permitting processes to reduce time and effort required for deployment
· Proactively engage and build coalitions with technical experts, industry associations, local and state authorities, and other key stakeholders
· Represent Tesla before local and state government officials and organizations that work with key constituencies
· Analyze utility proposals at utility commissions to determine potential impacts and opportunities for distributed energy resources and customers.
· Prepare strategies and written materials to assist with advocacy efforts (fact sheets, briefing papers, presentations, etc)
· Prioritize potential efforts across many potential jurisdictions and many products based on the impact to Tesla's bottom line
· Ensure effective collaboration between Tesla’s Policy and Business Development, Operations, and Engineering Teams on local government outreach
· Some travel (approx. 20% of time) is required
· Minimum two years' experience working with or within local governments, preferably with direct experience with building departments, or in energy regulatory proceedings.
· Familiarity with distributed energy resource technologies including solar, storage, and electric vehicle charging equipment.
· Knowledge of general permitting processes and code development at state and local levels (relevant committees, council meetings, departments, etc.)
· Familiarity with building, electrical, and fire codes are a strong plus
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills -- ability to synthesize and communicate technical information clearly
· Strong project management skills
· Highly energetic personality with an ability to function autonomously in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.