Battery Algorithms Engineer
As a member of the controls group, you will model, develop, specify, and implement control and estimation algorithms in our high voltage battery.
- Use a variety of cell and battery pack models, fleet data, and laboratory test data to create state-of-the-art feedback control and estimation algorithms for Tesla’s high voltage battery packs.
- Work on projects from cell capacity, impedance, energy, and degradation estimation to diagnostics of sensors, cells and battery pack components.
- Create physics based modeling of cell and pack elements.
- Create and integrate models, define algorithms, write testing code, and evaluate the performance of algorithms throughout the life of the product.
- Work cross-functionally with cell modeling, firmware, and battery safety organizations.
- Greater than 2 years of experience with battery algorithm design
- MS/PhD in mechanical, electrical, aerospace, or materials engineering
- Experience with modeling of lithium ion cells
- Simulating dynamic models of electrical systems
- Have knowledge in linear systems analysis and estimation algorithm design
- Capable of analyzing algorithm performance in MATLAB/Simulink
- Strong communication and preference for working in teams
- Basic experience, understanding, and intuition for the electrochemical physics of lithium ion cells
- Experience in specifying or executing tests on cells in a laboratory environment
- Understanding of diagnostic techniques for cells and battery pack components
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.