Sr Data Science Engineer | Tesla
Sr Data Science Engineer
Tesla's Mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.
Sr. Data Science Engineer
A data science engineer uses predictive modeling, statistics, data mining, and other analysis techniques to extract insights from structured and unstructured data. Assists business with inferences and observations by finding patterns and relationships in data. As a data science engineer, you will design, refine and create innovative analyses by leveraging large and complex data sources. Derive actions, deliver dynamic and intuitive decision tools by bringing data to life via innovative visualizations.
The ideal candidate is self-driven, excited to learn new technologies and interested in solving challenging problems. This candidate also has a broad set of analytical tools, with a strong passion for data and effective visualization techniques.
- Design and implement analytics and reporting tools to support key business decisions
- Determine root cause to improve throughput by analyzing big data and complex data for patterns
- Develop algorithms and applications to apply mathematics to data; translate data into intelligence to solve a variety of business problems and determine optimal business strategies
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify optimal solutions using operations research and answering business questions where analytics can be most impactful
- Drive all aspects of analysis including data acquisition and manipulation, programming, data visualization, documentation, and presentation of results.
- Lead cross-functional teams of engineers, technicians, logistics, and service to improve tools for data gathering and analysis.
- B.S/M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or Information Systems or equivalent expertise
- 2+ years of related work preferred
- Fluency in SQL for data access, manipulation, and validation. R or SAS for data analysis. Scripting languages: Python, Perl, Java, C/C++
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; knowledge of statistical methodologies and passionate for data visualization – proficiency in Tableau preferred
- Experience working with large data sets
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable transportation and electricity consumption by designing and manufacturing electric vehicles and energy storage systems. Based in California, Tesla employs more than 13,000 people across four continents, and manufactures cars at our factory in Fremont, California. We are currently constructing the Gigafactory–the world’s largest lithium ion battery factory–in Sparks, Nevada, and have begun production of Energy battery storage products.
Tesla currently produces two premium EVs–Model S and Model X–engineered from the ground up to be the world’s best car and SUV, respectively. Model S received Motor Trend’s prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, and achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA. The recently released Model X includes the first ever falcon wing doors, as well as Tesla’s award-winning electric all-wheel drive powertrain. Both vehicles come with free road trip access to more than 400 Tesla Supercharger stations—the world’s fastest EV charging technology. Model 3, our third generation EV, is currently under development.
Tesla produces the Powerwall, a residential battery pack, as well as commercial and utility-grade Powerpack storage systems designed to help reduce electricity costs, smooth consumption and create a more resilient electricity grid.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone; you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we’re trying to do too difficult.
Tesla is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.