Tesla is breaking the
mold and changing the way the world looks not only at electric vehicles, but
also at the paradigm of human transportation and clean energy. Our electric
vehicles and energy products do not compromise on performance, luxury, or utility.
Nor do we compromise on the people that make our products happen.
Tesla is committed to
hiring and developing the top talents in any given discipline. Our world-class
teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy
of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and
technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and be
challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone.
You must have a genuine passion for designing electric
vehicles. Without passion, you would find what we're trying to do too
difficult. There are much easier jobs.
You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial
We are building real products -- not presentations.
This must excite you. You must be a builder.
We offer a competitive
salary, meaningful stock ownership, health benefits, a fun work environment and
the chance to make a real contributory impact on the world.
As a Creative
Manager in Tesla’s China Design Studio Team, you will be responsible for the design
development of future Tesla vehicles. You will be part of the team that
creates and executes world-class vehicles in terms of form, function and
considerable production design experience and innovative thinking, you will primarily
be tasked with creating designs for future cars but may also be called upon for
other design tasks (product design, spaceship design, etc) based on your
skillset. Our design team prides itself on being multitalented and flexible,
and we look for the same in our potential candidates. You will report to the Design
Manager and this position resides in Tesla’s Design Studio in China.
- Develop design proposals for Tesla vehicles, ranging from broad design
themes all the way to component-level design.
- Create compelling sketches that show a vision for the future of Tesla
- Guide a design from the sketch phase to concept modeling in Alias or clay,
and through to A-class surfacing.
- Work with engineers to come up with design and engineering solutions that
serve the design vision and also fit with the engineering constraints.
- Participate in cross-functional strategy, timing, and process discussion
as it pertains to vehicle development.
- Work with CMF designers to create designs that consider the opportunities
and limits of the color and trim vision, and work with them to create a unified
vision for the designs.
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of
craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design
vision as possible.
- Mentor junior designers and interns and provide technique/approach
guidance where needed between reviews.
- Collaborate with the fabrication team to complete prototypes when
- Occasionally participate in design efforts outside of your area of
expertise as necessity and as your own skillset dictates.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Automotive or Transportation Design with
a minimum of 8 years of experience in production automotive design -- or a
combination of advanced and production design.
- Must understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering of
premium cars and have examples or a portfolio of completed programs.
- Must have in-depth technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, and
assembly processes as it relates to automotive design.
- High level of skill taking 2D sketches to 3D modeling in Alias and clay.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working
- Exceptional visual and oral communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Demonstrated an ability to deliver successful designs under tight timing
constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career