The Tesla Energy EHS Specialist is responsible for designing, driving and influencing EH&S excellence, regulatory compliance and risk management to achieve world class EH&S performance throughout Housing, Commercial & Industrial and Utility Energy products deployment markets in North America.
The individual responsible will establish and ensure Tesla EH&S standards are in place and aligned with EH&S department goals across Tesla Energy construction and service works in all markets, and drive the reduction of EH&S risk within the business through observation and risk reduction planning with teams and partners responsible for designing, installing and servicing Tesla Energy products.
The role reports to the area EHS leader and works to influence, inspire, and empower business operations staff, district operations and service leaders, stakeholders, EH&S Committee members, and partner contractors to implement and continuously improve Tesla’s EHS strategy for a building and maintaining a safe, healthy and high performing workplace.
- Develop and maintain a partnership with and serve as a key advisor on EH&S matters to Tesla Energy business operations leaders and stakeholders, associates, EH&S committee members, and partner contractors.
- Serve as an EH&S technical expert to identify key risks including legal compliance requirements and responsibilities in all phases of photovoltaic, energy storage, and EV charging products deployment, operation and service, including specific support in the safe design and engineering, installation and construction, commissioning and operation, and preventative maintenance and repair of energy products.
- Ensure compliance with key EH&S risks in all phases of Energy product deployment and service in the field and in fixed facilities.
- Respond to and investigate EH&S events and support the learning from events by determining causes and preventative actions with management and business teams; use internal and external software tools to complete reports and manage actions.
- Conduct proactive field and facility inspections to verify work in progress meets EH&S goals, and document findings using internal and external software tools and applications; review improvement opportunities with EH&S management, supervisors, operations managers, technicians and stakeholders.
- Use in-house and external software tools and systems to review and respond to safety cases and action cases with business teams.
- Lead and support routine and ad hoc EH&S meetings with area management and stakeholders to communicate EH&S programmatic improvements and changes, incident learnings, actions, and KPIs performance compared to company and department EH&S goals.
- Be a visible model in the field and teach, train and coach business teams and support staff on fundamental EH&S concepts and principles to reduce risk, and influence, inspire and empower business teams and staff to reduce risk per our Tesla EH&S vision, values and principles.
- Demonstrate the ability to execute on the responsibilities of the role in a fast-paced and growing global organization in a ‘first-principles’ approach.
- Have a minimum of 3 years of progressive Environment, Health and Safety experience in organizations at scale and an educational degree in an EH&S related field, engineering, or other related field of study.
- Have a strong written and verbal communications skills with the ability to positively interact with top business management and staff, EHS leadership, regulators, project management staff and 3rd party clients and suppliers.
- Ability to work at heights on residential rooftops and similar environments and be able to work within OSHA standards working at height including:
- Ability to climb and utilize equipment on site including various ladders rated for a maximum capacity of 325lbs.
- Must be able to meet equipment standards for fall protection (harness, anchor, ropes, etc.) with a maximum capacity of 310bs.
- Have experience and an understanding of EH&S regulatory systems and policy within the United States (+ Canada, Mexico, South America, preferred
- Demonstrate experience in applying government and regulatory environmental, health or safety regulations in a variety of construction, operation and service works.
- Have experience in delivering effective safety training
- Have a strong understanding and competency to create communications and plans to multiple levels of the organization with success.
- Demonstrate proficiency working with standard business software, including word processing, presentation software, and spreadsheets.
- Have a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), or other relevant or comparable certifications.
- Experience working directly within electric power generation, transmission, storage or distribution industries.
- Ability to speak professionally in Spanish or other relevant language.
- Experience with ISO standards 14001, 45001, or other relevant EH&S requirements and accreditation schemes relevant to the energy generation, transmission, storage and distribution industries.