are seeking a Senior Energy
Trading Analyst to drive continual performance
improvements of the largest fleet of battery storage projects in the
world. This includes Tesla's utility-scale battery fleet (i.e.,
transmission level) and virtual power plants (i.e., aggregation of residential
batteries at the distribution level). Using Tesla's in-house automated trading
platform, Autobidder, you will be responsible for bidding
batteries into multiple wholesale energy markets, ensuring the
assets meet contractual obligations, and complying with market rules. This
includes: developing and executing trading strategies, monitoring automated
trading systems, balancing risk and expected returns from different trading
strategies, making real-time trade decisions during key market
opportunities, analyzing asset performance and market conditions,
developing tools to support analytics, developing and prototyping new
algorithm ideas and strategies as part of the team's R&D process,
communicating complex situations to broad audiences, and presenting to internal
and external stakeholders.
will serve on the front-lines of the transition to sustainable energy, which
requires high-performing batteries to bolster the grid and support a renewable
future. You have a bias towards action, are an effective cross-functional
communicator, and excel on collaborative fast-paced teams.
- Lead trading and real-time operations for battery, solar,
and wind projects participating in wholesale energy markets using
Tesla's proprietary automated trading software, Autobidder, and other
internal trading tools.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for Autobidder market
operations with other Energy Traders. Collaborate, challenge, and learn
from each other.
- Transfer your expertise in electricity market fundamentals and
operations into systematic trading strategies by working alongside
developers of machine learning models, optimization models, and software
- Provide fundamental analysis, insights, and expertise in
electricity markets that fuel our competitive advantage in algorithmic
electricity market trading.
- Structure batch experiments through our proprietary simulation
platform and conduct forensic analysis of outputs to explain performance
and identify opportunities for algorithmic improvements.
- Develop analytical and reporting tools in Python that help
monitor performance of the wholesale battery fleet and provide
insights into future trading decisions.
- Monitor market design evolution and engage with stakeholders in our
key markets and analyze the impact of policy changes on storage
monetization in electricity markets.
- Lead regular meetings across Tesla, with customers, and with
external organizations to communicate overall fleet performance. As part
of this team, be the center of knowledge for how our fleet is performing,
why, and how to improve.
- 3+ years of direct experience in at least one of
the following: electricity market trading/operations, electricity
market research with a focus on energy storage
participation, energy-related commodity trading.
- Existing expertise in at least one of
the following: US (ERCOT, CAISO, ISO-NE), European (UK), or
Australian (AEMO) wholesale electricity markets (or similar market not
listed), and aptitude and interest to learn many others. This should
include experience with both energy and ancillary service products.
- Python proficiency: Able to run, modify, and build analytical
tools. Able to manipulate, analyze, and visualize data.
- Track record of positively impacting investment or trading
decisions through your own market analysis and insights, either with
personal or professional projects.
- A passion for extracting insight from data and complete comfort in
communicating highly technical topics to a range of audiences.
- Structured and systematic thinker.
- Ability to quickly make analysis-based decisions in uncertain
- Collaborative teammate excited to compete as a team.
in: SQL, Git, Docker, Linux.
on an electricity or gas trading desk.
in stationary storage industry, or prior modeling of stationary storage
energy market applications.
with linear optimization.
with time-series forecasting methods.
Along with competitive pay, this position is eligible for benefits including:
- As a full-time Tesla employee, you will receive full benefits from day 1 for you and your eligible dependents
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans (including infertility and transgender coverage)
- 2 medical plan choices with $0 paycheck contribution
- Vision & dental plans (including orthodontic coverage)
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Company Paid HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Medical Plan with HSA
- Company paid Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- 401(k) match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Employee Assistance Program, Sick and Vacation time (Flex Time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and employee discounts
- Voluntary plans such as critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, and pet insurance
- Voluntary Identity Theft and Legal Services plans
- Adoption and surrogacy benefits