Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the Team
The Factory Firmware Team is seeking a Firmware Integration Engineering Intern to develop software tools for vehicle diagnostics, testing and validation. As a Firmware Integration Engineering Intern, you will develop software and hardware tools for the factory side-by-side with development, integration, quality, and manufacturing teams. You will be expected to move projects along at an aggressive pace – pulling together the contributions of cross-functional engineering and manufacturing teams into a cohesive solution. You will also be expected to get your hands dirty in the details of various subsystems – digging through vehicle logs, root-causing issues and developing solutions to complex problems.
The Factory Firmware Team operates as the eyes and ears of the Firmware organization within the factory and often has last say on the deployment of new firmware to manufacturing – providing valuable insight and feedback to accelerate the development and launch of exciting new hardware and software features.
- Set up system level manufacturing processes, related to firmware, from initial concept to final product
- Develop software and hardware tools for vehicle diagnostics, testing, and validation
- Integrate vehicle firmware tests in manufacturing and support new program launches, both hardware and software
- Validate firmware in manufacturing through the integration and release of new firmware versions
- Develop software and hardware solutions to bridge manufacturing process gaps, maintaining firmware quality, and streamlining production
- Develop and improve tools as well as resolve firmware related issues to support production in meeting their targets
- Influence the end-to-end process of firmware integration into vehicle subsystems within manufacturing
- Troubleshoot high priority production situations through root cause analysis and implementation of short- and long-term solutions
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or related field with evidence of exceptional ability
- Strong scripting skills in at least one common language (Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Strong experience collaborating with colleagues and communicating complex technical concepts to others of varied technical background
- Must be detail-oriented with an ability to think creatively and produce “outside of the box” solutions
- Exceptional ability to keep multiple projects moving forward
- Strong scripting skills in Python
- Experience working in high volume automotive manufacturing
- Experience working with new product introduction and process improvements
- Understanding of lean manufacturing metrics
- Experience with circuit design and basic hardware prototyping
- Experience testing and validating embedded software in electro-mechanical systems