The Cell Manufacturing Engineering team at Tesla is looking for a highly-motivated Sr. Manufacturing Engineer to contribute to the development and ramp of cell manufacturing equipment and processes for our cutting-edge Tesla Energy Batteries. The Battery is one of the most complex and challenging components designed and manufactured at Tesla. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to Tesla’s world-class manufacturing facilities. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of an incredibly exciting product. In addition to developing working on ramping the line the Manufacturing Engineer works with cross-functional teams to test, validate, and roll-out equipment to production. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail. He/She appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed, and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. He/She looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
- Drive ramp of exciting new line by characterizing baseline performance and capability of each system and drive actions to maintain or improve performance as measured by product quality and tool availability.
- Analyze production with statistical software (JMP or R preferred) to understand manufacturing uptime, availability and reliability metrics-yield, OEE, cycle time, quality and investigate bottlenecks to identify root cause and countermeasure to maximize throughput
- Drive root cause analysis through process and equipment expertise, derive & execute DOE’s accordingly, correlate with upstream/downstream processes
- Troubleshoot and recover processes by PLC, HMI, or tool management software, and implement changes/improvements
- Ensure manufacturing lines meet uptime, availability, and reliability metrics – OEE, cycle time, quality, and first time through.
- Actively use tool data sources (e.g. MES reports) to quantitatively evaluate and track tool performance and create programs to improve relevant metrics.
- Work independently and with vendors to understand root cause of failures, propose design or component changes, and implement and validate equipment modifications.
- Develop and deliver training to operations and maintenance technicians to ensure and seamless handover of new equipment.
- Generate and maintain documentation including machine and process specifications, drawings, BOM, spare parts, PFMEA, control plan, process flow chart
- Own individual work stations, tools, or production lines
- Either a BS with 5+ years’ relevant experience or an MS in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, or equivalent.
- Evidence of exceptional ability.
- 2 or more years of experience in a production environment and/or proven manufacturing development track record.
- A passion to implement and work on ramping a manufacturing line including experience with mechanical automation equipment, robots, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls
- Position will offer unique and complex engineering challenges that require persistence, innovative thinking and a positive attitude
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, occasionally requiring extended hours.
- Proven ability to operate under pressure while managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Experience with semi-automated / automated manufacturing equipment a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Aptitude to learn and incorporate new technologies.