Battery Material Engineer (m/w/d) - Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg
||Grünheide (Gigafactory Berlin), Brandenburg
Tesla is accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. Revolutionary strategies and products were developed within a few years and successfully launched on a large scale. This is only possible through extraordinary speed, innovation and efficiency.
Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg forms the perfect basis for rolling out Tesla's incredible success story in Europe. The most important pillar for this are our employees. Their passion, motivation and engagement ensure that we achieve our goals. We are looking for you to continue and expand this success story together.
We are looking for a battery materials team member to help accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Our team qualifies materials prior to cell production by examining material level metrics and correlating those metrics to cell level performance. Aspects of qualification includes safety, beginning of life performance, cost, and material degradation. A successful team member will be highly motivated and able to work independently while maintaining communication with team members in different locations.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing diverse talent in all disciplines. This position will collaborate with multiple teams across Tesla to enable ramp and expansion of Tesla’s use of battery material components. This candidate will be responsible in unlocking key multisource materials and qualifying them from the individual component level to the full-cell level. The candidate will be responsible for multiple, high-impact projects which will involve implementing existing techniques, developing new techniques, and analyzing existing data to rapidly recognize and solve key process upsets/deviations and performance gaps. We want team focused employees with strong communication skills who challenge and want to be challenged, and who create and innovate. We want teammates who will thrive in a fast-paced company with real hardware and are self-motivated.
- Contribute to our efforts to better understand lithium ion battery performance and degradation
- Be a key member of a cross functional team to help determine battery material impact on product performance
- Coordinate and assess multisource battery materials physical, electrochemical, and safety properties from the powder/liquid-level up to the full cell to define and determine levels of sameness
- Work closely with the commercial and manufacturing teams to identify, interface and assess multisource suppliers technical and commercial capability and quality control
- Expand material characterization and cell testing efforts to keep up with demand
- Use electrochemical/chemical tests to interpret and quantify degradation modes of various battery chemistries traced back to battery material properties
- Identify and quickly solve any key process issues or deviations that might occur as it relates to the battery materials
- Strong communication skills
- Flexibility to work in a new facility and accommodate changing priorities based on what is most critical
- Familiar with transport and thermodynamic parameters of battery materials
- Experience with battery cyclers, chemical analysis techniques for battery materials, and EIS interpretation
- Ability to learn new concepts and methods from the literature, propose design of experiments, and execute independently
- BS + 4 years or MS + 2 years. Senior positions also available