Beckhoff Controls & Automation Engineer, Battery Cells (m/w/d) - Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg
Tesla is accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. Revolutionary strategies and products were developed within a few years and successfully launched on a large scale. This is only possible through extraordinary speed, innovation and efficiency.
Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg forms the perfect basis for rolling out Tesla's incredible success story in Europe. The most important pillar for this are our employees. Their passion, motivation and engagement ensure that we achieve our goals. We are looking for you to continue and expand this success story together.
Tesla is seeking a Controls Engineer on the Cell Controls Engineering (CCE) team to be part of a world-class team of engineers that are responsible for designing, building and sustaining the automation and robotic equipment at the Tesla factories. As a Controls Engineer, you are responsible for implementing equipment controls solutions for all Cell Manufacturing projects. This includes implementation of automated equipment such as automated storage systems, robotics, automated high-speed conveyance systems, automated guided vehicles, fixtures, etc. Controls Engineers own hardware programming, robot programming, commissioning and review process of the project as well as additional functions such as auditing, installation and safety assessment.
The key objective of the Automation team is developing and sustaining new and innovative solutions in the factory and help Tesla achieve its ambitious manufacturing goals. All these automated manufacturing processes will be planned, assembled and tested at our Tesla facilities located in Berlin, Germany.
- Program and debug structure text and ladder logic code on multiple PLC controller platforms (Beckhoff TwinCAT)
- Develop and debug code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable
- Create robust programs and sequences to control complex, multi-station machinery to perform processes such as material pick and place, dispense, fastening, welding, testing and material transport
- Use Python scripting and SQL to interface equipment with Tesla Manufacturing Execution System (MES) and to collect data into production databases
- Create intuitive operator touchscreen interfaces using TwinCAT HMI and SCADA dashboards screens using Ignition
- Set up and tune servo drives and VFDs for fast and smooth operation (Beckhoff, Siemens, SEW)
- Implement control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high-volume manufacturing equipment as per German codes and standards (DIN, VDE, etc.)
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits
- Understand Tesla controls standards, work with suppliers during specification, design review, design approval
- Work with suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of automated manufacturing equipment
- Introduce automated processes into production, and train and equip Sustaining Team to support automated equipment after deployment into production
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution
- In depth knowledge of Beckhoff
- Good Structured Text (IEC 61131-3) programming skills
- Able to use common hand tools and diagnostic instruments such as multi-meters
- Proficiency in field network topology, both theory and practical applications
- Very good written and spoken German or English skills
- Multi-tasking ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Able to work under pressure in the presence of stakeholders
- Degree as Bachelor / Master / Dipl.-Ing. (TH / FH) specializing in Electrical, Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering, Computer Science or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in Controls Engineering
Nice to Have
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (LVDT and pressure transducers, dispense systems, temperature controllers, DC nutrunner torque controllers, current and power meters, etc.)
- Understanding of databases and various program languages (Java, Python).
- HMI programming experience – TwinCAT HMI, WinCC and Ignition
- Robotic programming skills
- Controls panel electrical design