Manager - Material Flow Operations (m/w/d) - Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg
||Grünheide (Gigafactory Berlin), Brandenburg
Tesla is accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. Revolutionary strategies and products were developed within a few years and successfully launched on a large scale. This is only possible through extraordinary speed, innovation and efficiency.
Gigafactory Berlin forms the perfect basis for rolling out Tesla's incredible success story in Europe. The most important pillar for this are our employees. Their passion, motivation and engagement ensure that we achieve our goals. We are looking for you to continue and expand this success story together.
The Materials Flow Manager will be responsible for managing all Material Handling operations for the respective divisions of our Gigafactory Berlin. This position is part of the Production Control & Logistics Team and will be tasked with designing and developing inventory movement and storage systems from storage or staging to production line side locations, as well as improving productivity and efficiency of operations. The primary objective of the Material Handling and Inventory Control Group is to implement an efficient receiving, warehouse, material handling, and conveyance solution to support the overall vehicle manufacturing operation, while optimizing space, improving labor productivity, and creating a more ergonomic work environment for Tesla’s associates.
- Design, develop, and implement solutions for dramatically improving material flows through the factory using Lean Principles. The design includes material arrival at docks through staging for delivery to line-side locations. The focus will be on developing innovative new solutions for manufacturing that leverage automated systems.
- Ability to foster and develop a strong team of material handling personnel through selective recruitment, thorough and consistent on-boarding process, training, and coaching, and identification and addressing of competency gaps within team. Management of team includes proactively planning for labor needs in light of production ramp up, communicating job expectations, performing employee performance and objectives reviews, and managing team in alignment of company policies and procedures.
- Ability to meet materials operations financial objectives by preparing budgets, forecasting requirements, planning for capital expenditures, securing company property and assets, and analyzing and resolving inventory variances.
- Capable of defining material operations systems to include: developing processes for materials related activities, defining materials related aspects of new production lines, determining equipment needs and utilization, defining storage and material handling requirements, and ability to integrate and align physical processes with systematic processes.
- Drive improvements within material flow by planning layout and space requirements, reducing line impact, analyzing and reviewing product flow, and evaluating and proposing new equipment options.
- Maintains safe work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures. It also requiring coaching and motivating team to proactively address potential safety issues and concerns.
- Support advanced trouble-shooting and improvement of existing warehouse management, inventory control, and material flow systems.
- Targeted goals include but not limited to:
- Safety focus
- People Management
- 5S standards
- Line down time / Productivity / hours per car
- Reduction in material handling waste
- Reduction of in-house receiving lead-time
- Significant improvement in labor efficiency
- Optimized space utilization
- Highly accurate part selection resulting in inventory accuracy levels above 99%
- Reduction of information system transactional needs
- Minimum 4 year degree in related field, Master’s Degree in Engineering, Business or related program preferred or equivalent in years’ experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
- 7+ years of experience in manufacturing, supply chain and/or distribution and logistics experience desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years in a Supervisory/Management role, Material Handler supervisory experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to express well-reasoned, independent thought. Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organizational levels.
- Demonstrated ability to be a resilient change agent capable of leading organization through paradigm shifts.
- Experience applying and using material flow analysis tools, including simulation, time study analysis (dynamic and static) preferred.
- Strong knowledge of material flow methodologies including sequencing, kitting, repack, etc. with ability to create metrics and standardization of process. Understanding of FTZ (foreign trade zone) and how to maintain required control of related inventory preferred.
- Understanding of of Production and Inventory Control within manufacturing environment such as lean manufacturing concepts with the ability to lead 5S and kaizen efforts for continuous improvement.