Manufacturing Engineering Manager, Drive Unit (m/w/d) - Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg
Tesla is accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. Revolutionary strategies and products were developed within a few years and successfully launched on a large scale. This is only possible through extraordinary speed, innovation and efficiency.
Gigafactory Berlin forms the perfect basis for rolling out Tesla's incredible success story in Europe. The most important pillar for this are our employees. Their passion, motivation and engagement ensure that we achieve our goals. We are looking for you to continue and expand this success story together.
Tesla is seeking highly motivated manager to lead the Manufacturing Engineering team for Drive Unit in Berlin. The candidate is primarily responsible for the design and development of manufacturing lines for Rotor, Stator, Motor, Gearbox and Drive Unit from equipment specification through high volume production. The selected candidate assumes full ownership of the technical transfer of the line’s tools to Tesla Operations, qualifying them for use with the highest standards of safety, quality, and output. The team works closely with Tesla’s Product Design, Operations, Facilities, and Quality Engineering teams and coordinates cross-functional design activities with tool vendors to develop novel manufacturing equipment.
- Collaborate with the Drive Unit R&D team to propose solutions for Tesla’s next generation motor designs.
- Develop manufacturing methods and select equipment necessary for high volume series production.
- Ability to manage workload while contributing to a positive, team oriented work environment
- Skilled at leading, coaching and developing direct reports across a broad range of engineering and technical disciplines
- Experience with budgeting, forecasting and financial planning for a large technical team
- Define and oversee Factory Acceptance Test and Site Acceptance Test of manufacturing equipment.
- Oversee installation and ensure ramp-up of Drive Unit manufacturing equipment.
- Optimize product flow and line efficiency by designing or improving tools, jigs, stations, work methods and ergonomics using the 5S methodology.
- Characterize baseline performance and capability of each system and drive actions to maintain or improve performance as measured by product quality and tool availability.
- Identify and drive continuous improvement and cost reduction programs.
- Drive process control and process development, specifically in the areas of quality and equipment capability.
- Work independently and with vendors to understand root cause of failures, propose design or component changes, and implement and validate equipment modifications.
- Generate machine documentation for operations and maintenance.
- Oversee technician/operator training on the equipment.
- Establish machine maintenance schedule and spares list.
- Drive other projects as needed by management or as business needs change.
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar. Alternatively, the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Minimum 10 years prior experience in manufacturing and automation design.
- Minimum 5 years experience directly in EV or hybrid motor manufacturing.
- Expert with SolidWorks or other 3D CAD software.
- Understanding of automation systems, mechanical engineering, robotics, PLCs, data collection systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively achieve results with multiple vendors and internal and external customers.
- Strong hands-on experience with high-volume and pilot manufacturing.
- Working knowledge of data analysis, statistics, SPC.
- Able to maintain organization and focus in a highly dynamic environment.
- Excellent communicator, both in presentations and written reports.
- Proven ability to work well with production personnel of all levels.
- Able to travel 30% of the time, both domestically and internationally.