Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer, Cell Manufacturing – Gigafactory Berlin (m/w/d)
||Grünheide (Gigafactory Berlin), Brandenburg
Tesla is accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. Revolutionary strategies and products were developed within a few years and successfully launched on a large scale. This is only possible through extraordinary speed, innovation and efficiency.
Gigafactory Berlin forms the perfect basis for rolling out Tesla's incredible success story in Europe. The most important pillar for this are our employees. Their passion, motivation and engagement ensure that we achieve our goals. We are looking for you to continue and expand this success story together.
Tesla is seeking a talented Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer to lead full life cycle development of automated test equipment at Gigafactory Berlin. He/she will work with the design team located in Berlin to ensure successful support of current equipment and to collaborate on new design requirements.
- Develop innovative technologies for ultra-reliable testers, unit defect detection capabilities, and previously unimagined production rate scaling capabilities.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Able to define most efficient plan for testing, focusing on test time reduction and appropriate complexity to promptly release testers.
- Modeling and testing for stress, thermal, fluid, and mechanical aspects of machines/components, that perform effectively while exposed to daily abuse of a manufacturing environment.
- Ensure test machines provide effective testing coverage, protect the unit under test, meet up time needs, and reduce cycle time requirements for scalable high-volume manufacturing.
- Drive enhanced mechanical design standards, best practices, and tools to improve designs.
- Characterization and validation of new equipment for introduction to the production floor.
- Drive continuously increasing test automation, including robotics and actuator-based test systems.
- Create outstanding documentation packages, train others in the maintenance and long-term usage of the test systems.
- Bachelor or Master Degree in mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience designing best in class mechanical products and test automation systems.
- Ability to lead projects and architect the overall system design in cooperation with electrical and software test automation disciplines.
- Experience with initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balancing product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Be able to perform required analysis to ensure a successful design (stress, strain, thermal, tolerance, cost and mass optimization...).
- Solid knowledge of heat transfer and thermal management.
- Expertise in material science of components used in mechanical design (metals, insulators, plastics, connectors, gaskets...).
- Desire to drive ultra-reliable, cost effective designs that beat schedules.
- Expertise in SolidWorks, CATIA, FEA simulation, GD&T, and design for reliability concepts.
- Experience in deploying test machines in a large scale manufacturing environment and ability to come up with rapid methods for scaling and duplication of test equipment.
- Remain engaged, proactive and positive in tough circumstances, owning assignments and taking full accountability for overall team success.
Application for this position must be done in English