Tooling Engineer, Cell Engineering (m/w/d) - Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg
||Grünheide (Gigafactory Berlin), Brandenburg
Tesla is accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. Revolutionary strategies and products were developed within a few years and successfully launched on a large scale. This is only possible through extraordinary speed, innovation and efficiency.
Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg forms the perfect basis for rolling out Tesla's incredible success story in Europe. The most important pillar for this are our employees. Their passion, motivation and engagement ensure that we achieve our goals. We are looking for you to continue and expand this success story together.
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated stamping tooling development engineer to develop and scale manufacturing tooling for our cutting-edge Tesla battery cell manufacturing line. This role will be involved in design, development, commissioning and ramping of high-throughput tooling while working in a cross-functional engineering team taking new battery designs from initial concept through into full production.
The battery cell is a critical component in Tesla vehicles and storage systems. This role will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to our products. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. The ideal candidate should be ready to push their limits, as they join in highly motivated and capable team to make unbelieve things into reality.
- Lead tooling process development of deep draw stamping dies as well as production efforts, while playing a crucial role in research, planning, costing, and execution of future products
- Collaborate with product designers to improve manufacturing feasibility of metal parts using your extensive tooling experience as well as industry best practices
- Collaborate with tooling suppliers in design, manufacturing and qualification of tooling, as well as tooling process development; provide subject matter expertise and support to tooling supplier
- Drive new tooling commissioning and line trials ensuring smooth handover to operations team
- Collaborate with cross functional teams in selection of materials and tool coatings to meet performance, dimensional and cosmetic requirements
- Drive continuous improvement of tooling (coatings, materials, etc.) based on trials and data driven approach
- Identify innovative technologies in all phases of tool design and manufacturing, and work to implement them into mass production to enable improved performance and/or cost
- Develop and manage tooling / process FMEA risk assessments to prioritize tooling improvement projects
- Identify critical tooling spare parts, develop tooling documentation, develop and maintain tooling preventive maintenance plans in coordination with maintenance team
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (or tool apprenticeship) or equivalent industry experience; tool maker or tool designer background is a plus
- Experience with designing and/or manufacturing tooling for high volume, tight tolerance consumer products; experience with precision high speed stamping (fine blanking), deep drawing transfer dies, beverage can / food metal packaging industry highly desired
- Good understanding of stamping processes & die design
- Good understanding of material properties for steel and aluminum
- Ability to troubleshoot forming & dimensional issues in tooling processes
- Strong engineering foundations with aptitude to learn. Driven by first principle thinking.
- Experience with 3D CAD design software, FEA / simulation software desirable
- Strong skills with common workplace software to allow for project tracking and presentations as needed
What we offer
You will be working in our state-of-the-art Gigafactory where you solve
the world's most interesting problems with the best and brightest people who
share a passion to change the world. Tesla’s compensation package includes
competitive salary and Tesla shares or bonusses. Typical benefits that are
offered are a pension program, 30 vacation days, employee insurances,
relocation and commuting support.