Tesla Energy Plan
Join Australia’s Largest Virtual Power Plant
What is a Virtual Power Plant
Welcome to Australia’s Largest Virtual Power Plant, purpose built for Powerwall owners.
Tesla’s Virtual Power Plant is a network of homes like yours that supports the grid with clean renewable energy.
Our world leading technology optimises the use of your Powerwall based on your energy needs, market conditions, weather and anticipated grid events to ensure it benefits your home, while also supporting the community with clean renewable energy. In return, you receive competitive energy rates, Grid Support Credits and Powerwall Credits1 to reward your participation.
You can join our Virtual Power Plant today by signing up to the Tesla Energy Plan.
Tesla’s Virtual Power Plant allows you to maximise your energy savings through flexible Time-of-Use rates. By monitoring and managing your Powerwall, our technology helps ensure your home is powered by the most cost-effective energy source. This helps to reduce your energy bill while increasing access to cleaner renewable energy throughout your community.
- New owners earn Powerwall Credits1
- Existing owners can access a once off Welcome Credit2
- Extended warranty, up to 15 years3 on your new Powerwall
- Grid Support Credits4
- Limit of 50 Powerwall discharge cycles5 per year (excluding Ausgrid Distribution Network)
- Virtual Power Plant that is purpose built for Powerwall
- Minimum 20% Back-up reserve during a grid outage
- No Lock in contract energy plan
- Share your clean energy across the community
- Access to 100% Carbon Neutral Grid Energy
Take advantage of flexible Time of Use rates to reduce your energy bill. Become more aware of when and how you’re using your energy to help avoid peak periods.
50 Discharge Cycles
Powerwall will be limited to a maximum 50 discharge cycles per year. An event can range from a very small amount (less than 1kWh), up to the full capacity, excluding back-up reserve.5*
*Excludes the Ausgrid Distribution Network. Learn more.
Receive 5-years3 additional warranty on your new Powerwall when you remain connected to the Tesla Energy Plan.
Grid Support Credits
Receive Grid Support Credits for each Powerwall that you own4 in addition to the other benefits included in your Tesla Energy Plan.
Virtual Power Plant and Tesla Energy Plan
To join Tesla’s Virtual Power Plant through the Tesla Energy Plan, you must meet the below criteria:
- Have an existing or purchase a new Powerwall (excluding Powerwall 1)
- Residential customer in an eligible Tesla Energy Plan region6
- Internet connection (Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection)
- Smart Meter installed or agree to have one installed at your home, at no cost
- Operating solar system under 15 kW per Powerwall, and no zero export restrictions in place
Our Energy team will contact you to learn more about your Energy needs.
1. New Tesla Powerwall owners that choose the Tesla Energy Plan within 30 days of install are eligible to earn $1,000 in Powerwall Credits (incl GST). Credits are available to offset electricity charges and may not be withdrawn or converted into cash. You can receive Credits worth $500 in months 3 and 13 after your transfer date. While you can change plans at any time, if you leave the Tesla Energy Plan, you will forfeit any remaining Powerwall Credits. This offer is only available for new Powerwall owners; additional Powerwall purchases do not create eligibility for additional Credits.
2. When you connect to the Tesla Energy Plan with your existing Powerwall you will receive a once-off Welcome Credit of $100 (incl GST) applied to your Tesla Energy Plan account. The $100 (incl GST) credit will be applied at month 3 after your transfer date. Welcome Credit is available to offset electricity charges and may not be withdrawn or converted into cash. Offer only available to customers who already own a Powerwall and transfer their electricity to the Tesla Energy Plan.
3. 5 years extended warranty offer applies when you purchase a new Powerwall and connect to the Tesla Energy Plan and remain connected to the Tesla Energy Plan throughout the warranty term. If you leave the Tesla Energy Plan, your 5-year extended warranty will be removed and your only remaining warranty will be the standard Tesla Powerwall Warranty.
4. Grid Support Credits are calculated daily and appear on your bill as a credit monthly.
5. Each cycle corresponds to 13.5kWh discharged from your Powerwall to the grid directly. Customers in the Ausgrid Distribution Network (NSW) may experience higher battery cycling in order to take advantage of the higher Feed in Tariffs available between 2pm and 8pm. Ausgrid customers can learn more here.
6. The Tesla Energy Plan is available in South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, South East Queensland (Energex Network) and the Australian Capital Territory.
Tesla Energy Plan is delivered in partnership with licenced energy retailer Energy Locals Pty Ltd, ABN 23606408879