Senior Financial Analyst / Associate (Various Focus Areas)
Senior Financial Analyst / Associate (Various Focus Areas)
BUILD THE FUTURE
Tesla’s Finance team combines traditional financial planning and analysis with broader business decision-making and strategy, directly supporting Tesla’s leadership. Finance is embedded in daily operations, supporting both near-term execution and long-term planning. Team members are expected to analyze data and provide recommendations and to lead cross-functional decision-making and implementation of the recommendations. Tesla Finance is lean and dynamic, comprised of five subgroups: Corporate Finance, Energy Finance, Engineering Finance, Manufacturing Finance, and Sales, Marketing and Service (SMS) Finance. We encourage rotation across subgroups for high performers.
Positions are available at our headquarters in Palo Alto, CA, the Tesla Factory in Fremont, CA, Gigafactory 1 in Sparks, NV and Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, NY.
- Analyzing key performance indicators, especially revenue, cost of sales, operating expenses and capital expenditures (includes developing financial models and decision-making tools)
- Providing strategic insights and conclusions based on this analysis
- Guiding planning and resource management (e.g. headcount, investment approvals, etc.) for specific verticals within Tesla, including development of financial forecasts
- Identifying initiatives for improvement of Tesla’s financial outlook, including developing, tracking, and executing business initiatives with Tesla’s leadership
Corporate Finance works with all Finance subgroups and other leaders to:
- Lead Tesla’s corporate forecast process:
- Work with finance and non-finance stakeholders to analyze the impact of proposed business decisions (including actual performance) on Tesla’s financial health
- Develop the company’s income statement, balance sheet and cash flow forecast
- Synthesize these forecasts for review with Tesla’s Leadership and Board of Directors
- Develop and track cross-company efforts to improve gross margin and cash flow
- Lead long term planning for Tesla, including new products/capabilities, and capital needs
Engineering Finance works with Engineering and Supply Chain to:
- Manage R&D investments/planning for Engineering (e.g. return on investment analyses for new technology development, resource planning, etc.) and develop associated forecasts
- Track, report, and proactively manage profit improvement (e.g. design proposals, supply chain initiatives) on existing vehicles
- Support product development by establishing cost targets and guiding engineering, design and supply chain decisions towards attainment of these targets (i.e. cost vs. performance tradeoffs)
Manufacturing Finance works with Manufacturing and Supply Chain to:
- Manage all manufacturing investments globally and develop associated forecasts
- Includes evaluation of major CapEx decisions, expansion plans, and business cases on automation, manufacturing scope, insource vs. outsource choices, and location
- Lead manufacturing cost improvement for all products, including feedback on estimated manufacturing costs for future programs, identification of focus areas for cost, and execution of identified initiatives
Sales, Marketing and Service (SMS) Finance works with the Sales, Services and Marketing teams to:
- Manage investments into SMS activities, develop associated forecasts, and lead profitability analysis/improvement initiatives as the global and regional level
- Lead pricing efforts, including options and services, and business planning for global retail, service and sales enablement
- Develop and evaluate ROI for new markets, new business models, superchargers, pre-owned vehicles, and services;
Energy Products Finance works with Engineering, Supply Chain, Manufacturing and SMS teams to:
- Develop and maintain financial projections, track actual performance against plan for energy storage and solar products, inclusive of deployment activities
- Drive cost optimization in product development for existing and future products with a focus on establishment and attainment of cost targets
- Lead pricing efforts for Energy Products, including installation and services, and business planning for global retail, service and sales enablement
- Evidence of exceptional ability, especially within an ambiguous environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Economics and/or equivalent professional experience
- Ability to read and interpret financial statements recommended
- Quantitative degrees are a plus
- Demonstrated success driving tangible impact / influencing within a broader organization
- Excellent analytical skills (e.g. Microsoft Office applications, financial modeling, etc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, particularly with senior business leaders
- Highly collaborative, team oriented, and comfortable leading cross-functional projects
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.