Home charging installation
One of the most convenient aspects of owning a Tesla, is waking up to a fully charged car every morning. This experience begins the moment you take delivery. Before you take delivery of your Tesla, we recommend to prepare your home for charging. The following information will help you to prepare.
What to install?
We recommend installation of a Tesla Wall Connector, as this is the most convenient way to charge. The Tesla Wall Connector has a dedicated cable, which plugs directly into your Tesla and is available in two lengths: 2.5 and 7.5 metres. Other cars with a Type 2 inlet can also charge on this unit.
A Tesla can charge up to 16.5 kW or 51 miles/hour*. The achievable charge rate with Wall Connector depends on your grid connection. For other connector types, check the table at the bottom of this page.
- The majority of homes have a 1-phase grid connection, allowing you to charge up to 7.4 kW or 22 miles/hour*. This is more than sufficient for overnight charging.
- Some homes have a 3-phase grid connection. This connection enables you to charge up to 11 kW or 34 miles/hour*.
- 16.5 kW or 51 miles/hour* is achievable if more capacity is available or if you plan to upgrade your grid connection.
The Tesla Wall Connector can be purchased by completing this order form and is priced at 460 GBP.
*Refers to the rated range added to Model S per hour of charge
Who can install?
Every location is different. To ensure a smooth and safe installation, you can contact one of Tesla’s recommended installers:
How to install?
Tesla Wall Connector
If you organise the installation of Tesla Wall Connector yourself, Tesla recommends working with a qualified electrician.
To ensure correct installation, please share the Tesla Wall Connector instructions.
Tesla Mobile Connector
If you would like to use the Tesla Mobile Connector as a home charging solution, you can share the following document with your electrician, to ensure the correct outlet is installed:
- Mobile Connector Installation Guide (Blue Adapter)
- Mobile Connector Installation Guide (Red Adapter)
What comes standard with your Tesla?
Tesla's come standard with a Mobile Connector, a cable which can be used for common outlets. The cable can be mounted with the following standard adapters:
- Blue adapter for an industrial socket to charge the Tesla up to 22 miles of range per hour.
- An adapter with domestic plug to connect to the Mobile Connector and to charge up to 6 miles of range per hour.
A separate Type 2 charging cable for public stations is included with the vehicle at delivery.**
If you have any questions in regards to your home charging installation, do not hesitate to contact the Tesla Technical Support Team.