Discover Software Version 9.0
Software Version 9.0 introduces updates to the touchscreen and Tesla mobile app designed for a faster, more intuitive user experience.
Every single Model S and Model X on the road will receive new features and improvements from Software Version 9.0.
It’s now easier to find what you’re looking for: the new application launcher lets you access all your apps from one place, Controls and Settings have been combined, and Auto Lane Change is always enabled when using Autosteer (Beta). In addition, Navigation provides more insight into upcoming turns—including motorway exit information—and the instrument cluster now displays a 360-degree view of surrounding cars.
For Model S and Model X, navigation now provides more information about upcoming turns, including motorway exit information.
- Tap or pull down to see additional details in the full Trip Overview.
- Navigation settings are now more accessible on the touchscreen.
- Voice guidance can be quickly muted or unmuted.
For all Tesla cars, the traffic view has been restyled to further highlight problematic areas. Roads experiencing slower speeds or delays will be emphasized with red and yellow outlines.
For Model S and Model X, the new application launcher is located at the bottom of your touchscreen and brings all your apps together into one place, including your Calendar, Energy, Web Browser, Rear View Camera, Phone and Charging apps. Access your last-used app by swiping up on the application launcher icon.
In Models S and Model X, you can easily show or hide the Media Player by dragging the window up or down. To switch sources, tap on the desired icon at the bottom of the Media Player.
On the radio, you can now tune directly to a station using Direct Tune. For example, enter '88.5' while you've selected FM and the station will start playing immediately.
For Model S and Model X, the Controls and Settings panel has been reorganized to make things easier to find. Tap the Controls button in the bottom of the screen to find Controls and Settings on a single, combined screen. We have also added Quick Controls that give you direct access to the most commonly used controls.
For Models S and Model X, climate has been redesigned to be more compact and easier to use.
- All your controls for cold weather have been moved to one place as part of Climate. Touch the seat icon to access controls for all seat heaters, steering wheel heater and wiper heater.
- When dual climate is active, two independent temperatures will be displayed on the bottom of the touchscreen.
- As always, use the right scroll wheel for a quick way to adjust temperature up or down.
For Models S and Model X, acceleration will now be automatically reduced if an obstacle is detected in front of your car while driving at low speeds. This feature can be enabled or disabled in Controls > Autopilot.
Autosteer (Beta) and Auto Lane Change settings are now combined under Controls > Autopilot. When Autosteer (Beta) is enabled, engaging the turn signal will activate Auto Lane Change to move your car into an adjacent driving lane.
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware.
Tesla cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras, providing a 360-degree view of surrounding cars. This includes improved blind spot monitoring on the instrument panel which reflects the type of car in your blind spot, supplementing an already attentive driver.
You can now record and store video footage captured by your car’s forward-facing camera onto a USB flash drive. To record:
- Configure your USB flash drive by formatting in the 'FAT32' (Windows) / 'MS-DOS (FAT)' (Mac) file architecture and add a base-level folder in the flash drive called 'TeslaCam'.
- Insert configured USB flash drive into either of the USB ports in the front row.
- When properly configured, the Dashcam icon will be displayed in the status bar with a red dot indicating that it is recording.
- Note, the USB must be plugged in while driving to record.
Tap the icon to save a 10-minute video clip or press and hold to pause recording. Recordings not downloaded after an hour will be deleted. Be sure you have sufficient space on your flash drive to allow for saving (each minute of video recorded uses approximately 30 MB; the 1-hour circular buffer requires ~1.8 GB of free space). Dashcam is only available for Model S and Model X cars manufactured after August 2017.
You can now start navigation in your car by using the share button in your favourite phone apps. iOS users will need to enable sharing to your car: Open the app you want to share from, open the share feature, scroll to the right, tap the More button, then enable Tesla for sharing.
You can also allow your passengers to quickly control the media – play/pause, previous/skip, and cycle through your media favourites.
- You can disable this feature by going to Media Settings > Allow Mobile Control.
Whenever there's a software update available for your car, you can conveniently start the update from your phone.
- A notification will be sent to other drivers of your car, and they’ll have a few minutes to cancel the update from their app.
- Note: these features require mobile Software Version 3.6.0 or above.