Installing Powerwall with Backup Gateway 2
A Powerwall system consists of at least one Powerwall, a Tesla Gateway and the electrical hardware required by the home such as a meter, main panel and solar inverter. Powerwall can be wall-mounted or floor-mounted, and both Powerwall and the Gateway have multiple cable entry points for flexible installation. Installers can use a smartphone, tablet or laptop to commission the Powerwall system. Installation should be performed by a certified electrician.
Installers should download and fully review the Powerwall 2 AC with Backup Gateway 2 Installation Manual prior to installing a Powerwall system. The Powerwall with Backup Gateway 2 Installation Quick Guide is a lightweight reference with simple system diagrams and installation steps, and is designed for mobile use.
Transport Powerwall safely to the site, choose a mounting location, install the wall bracket and mount Powerwall to the bracket.
Introduction to the Backup Gateway 2
The Backup Gateway controls the connection between the Powerwall system and the grid. This video explores the Backup Gateway enclosure and explains the function of the main components.
Installing the Backup Gateway 2
Plan the Backup Gateway installation, mount the enclosure and configure the Backup Gateway for wiring. This video includes selecting and preparing cable entry locations, installing circuit breakers and making AC power connections.
Wiring Powerwall with Backup Gateway 2
Connect Powerwall to the Backup Gateway via the communication wiring.
Single Phase Energy Metering with Backup Gateway 2
Learn about internal energy metering features of the Backup Gateway 2 and how to install external meters.
Three Phase Energy Metering with Backup Gateway 2
This video will focus on the modifications required for monitoring 3-phase sites.
Commissioning the Powerwall System
The following steps outline connecting the Gateway to the internet and logging into the Commissioning Wizard; once logged into the Wizard, follow the prompts in the Wizard to complete the commissioning process.
- Step 1 Establish an internet connection for the Gateway via Ethernet, Wi-Fi or cellular network.
- Step 2 Power on the system by turning breakers on for the Gateway, Powerwall, Solar and home loads.
- Step 3 Connect to the Gateway Wi-Fi named “TEG-###” from your smartphone or laptop where ### is the last 3 numbers of your Gateway serial number.
- Step 4 Proceed past security certificate notification (Powerwall is secure but does not have a certificate that web browsers recognize).
- Step 5 Open a web browser and enter http://TEG-### in the address bar.
- Step 6 Run the wizard by logging in with your company email and password which is on the label on the Backup Gateway dead front.
Note: See the Installation Troubleshooting appendix in the Powerwall 2 AC Installation Manual for troubleshooting tips on accessing the Commissioning Wizard, updating the Gateway firmware and configuring energy meters.