Finn detaljert informasjon om Teslas kjøretøy og teknologi
Model 3 is a smaller, simpler and a more affordable electric car. Designed and built as the world’s first mass-market electric vehicle, it is a critical step in Tesla’s mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
Like every Tesla vehicle, Model 3 combines range, performance, safety and technology. Intelligent design maximizes interior space to comfortably fit five adults and all of their gear. The high-efficiency powertrain provides zero to 60 mph acceleration in as little as 5.1 seconds.
Model 3 is designed to achieve the highest safety ratings in every category. Combined with 220* to 310 miles of range and a starting price of $35,000 before incentives, Model 3 is Tesla’s most affordable vehicle yet.
Model 3 is currently in production, and deliveries to employee reservation holders began on July 28, 2017 at the Tesla Factory in Fremont, CA. Reservations for Model 3 first opened on March 31, 2016 and remain available today.
* EPA estimated range
Price - $35,000
- Range: 220 miles (EPA estimated)
- Supercharging rate: 130 miles of range per 30 minutes
- Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)
- Deliveries begin: Fall 2017
- 0-60 mph: 5.6 seconds
- Top speed: 130 mph
- 15-tommers berøringsskjerm
- Klimaanleggssystem med to soner
- FM/Internett-strømmende radio
- Front center console with open storage and two USB ports
- Onboard maps and navigation
- WiFi- og Internett-tilkoblingsmuligheter
- Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app
- Stemmeaktiverte kontroller
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming
- 60/40 split folding rear seat to maximize cargo options
- Back-up camera
- Auto dimming rear-view mirror
- One-touch power windows throughout
- Power-adjustable side mirrors
- 12-volt power outlet
- Full LED exterior lighting
- Eight cameras, forward radar and twelve ultrasonic sensors enabling active safety technologies including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking
- Six front row and two side curtain airbags
- Three-point safety belts with belt-reminders for driver and four passengers
- Two LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) attachments in second row
- Elektronisk stabilitetskontroll og antispinn
- Four-wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
- Child safety locks
- Overvåkingssystem for dekktrykk
- Vehicle: 4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty
- Battery warranty: 8 year, 100,000 mile (120,000 mile with Long Range Battery)
Long Range Battery - $9,000
- Range: 310 miles
- Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes
- Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)
- 0-60 mph: 5.1 seconds
- Top speed: 140 mph
- Deliveries begin: July 2017
- Solid Black: Standard
- Midnight Silver Metallic: $1,000
- Deep Blue Metallic: $1,000
- Silver Metallic: $1,000
- Pearl White Multi-Coat: $1,000
- Red Multi-Coat: $1,000
- 18” Aero: Standard
- 19” Sport: $1,500
Premium Upgrades Package - $5,000
Upgraded interior with additional features and premium materials.
- Premium oppvarmede seter og kabinmaterialer i hele interiøret, inkludert tredekor med synlige fiber og to bakre USB-porter
- 12-veis, elektrisk regulerbare forseter, ratt og sidespeil, med tilpassede førerprofiler
- Kraftigere premium lydsystem, diskanthøyttalere, surround-høyttalere og subwoofer
- Farget glasstak med ultrafiolett og infrarød beskyttelse
- Autodimmende, innfellbare, oppvarmede sidespeil
- Midtkonsoll med dekket lagringsplass og dokking for to smarttelefoner
Enhanced Autopilot - $5,000
Model 3 will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway and self-park at your destination.
Additional features will roll out over time through software updates.
Full Self-Driving Capability - $3,000 (requires Enhanced Autopilot)
In the future, Model 3 will be capable of conducting trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.
This feature is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary by jurisdiction.
Dimensions & Weight
- Length: 184.8”
- Width: 82.2” (76.1” with mirrors folded)
- Height: 56.8”
- Wheelbase: 113.2”
- Track (wheel center): 62.2” front and rear
- Ground clearance: 5.5”
- Head room, standard: 39.6” front row, 37.7” second row
- Head room, glass roof: 40.3” front row, 37.7” second row
- Leg room: 42.7” front row, 35.2” second row
- Shoulder room: 56.3” front row, 54.0” second row
- Hip room: 53.4” front row, 52.4” second row
- Setekapasitet: 5 voksne
- Luggage capacity: 15 cubic feet
- Curb weight:
- 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
- 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
- Weight distribution:
- 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
- 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
- Hybrid steel/aluminum body
- Drag coefficient of 0.23
- Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
- Independent multi-link rear suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
- Variable ratio, speed sensitive electronic power steering
- Electromechanically boosted four wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
- 18” Aero or 19” Sport wheels with all-season tires
- 240-volts NEMA 14-50-adapter
- 120-volts NEMA 5-15-adapter
- J1772 offentlig ladeadapter
- 20 foot mobile connector with storage bag
Se hele presentasjonen her:
Model S, den første helelektriske sedan, er en evolusjon i bilteknikk. Ved å kombinere ytelse, sikkerhet og effektivitet endret Model S verdens forventninger til dagens biler totalt med de høyeste oppnåelige sikkerhetsvurderinger, lengst rekkevidde blant alle elbiler, og trådløse programvareoppdateringer som kontinuerlig gjør den bedre.
Bygget på Tesla-plattformen, og batteriets plassering på gulvet gir Model S et ekstremt lavt tyngdepunkt. Det reduserer faren for å velte, samtidig som det forbedrer kjøreegenskaper og ytelse. Uten motor har Model S en mye større støtabsorberende sone enn andre sedaner, som absorberer energien fra en frontkollisjon.
Model S er én av de sikreste bilene på veien. Mye av dens sikkerhet skyldes det unike elektriske drivverket som sitter under bilen. Model S har et lavt tyngdepunkt, noe som minimerer velterisikoen. Sikkerheten av Model S er bevist av dens NHTSA og Euro NCAP fem-stjerners sikkerhetsvurdering sammen med å sette en rekord i den laveste sannsynligheten for å påføre passasjerer skade ved testing i USA.
Med to motorer, én foran og én bak, kontrollerer Model S dreiemomentet til for- og bakhjulene selvstendig og digitalt. Resultatet er enestående trekkraftkontroll under alle forhold. I motsetning til konvensjonelle firehjulsdrevne biler som ofrer drivstoffeffektivitet for økt trekkraft, øker Teslas elektriske firehjulstrekksystem effektiviteten.
Model S når 0-100 km/t på kun 3,0 sekunder og er den raskeste firedørssedanen noensinne.
Uovertruffne kjøreegenskaper er et resultat av ekstremt lavt tyngdepunkt, takket være batteripakken langs gulvet, sentrert mellom akslingene. Ingen annen produksjonsbil har en bedre fordeling av masse for optimale kjøreegenskaper.
Uten intern forbrenningsmotor får du ekstra lagringsplass i en Model S, i tillegg til en romslig kupé med god plass til fem voksne og to barn (bakovervendte seter).
Brukergrensesnitt med berøringsskjerm
Berøringsskjermen på 17 tommer er sentralt plassert og integrerer sømløst media, navigasjon, kommunikasjon, kupékontroll og kjøretøydata i et intuitivt grensesnitt. Mange funksjoner speiles på instrumentpanelet og er stemmeaktiverte, så sjåføren konsentrerer seg om veien foran seg.
Model S lar deg reise hvor du vil uten å bruke en dråpe bensin. EPA rangerer effektiviteten av Model S tilsvarende 90 mpg.
Over-the-air software updates add functionality, enhance performance, and improve the driving experience of Tesla vehicles. Similarly to how you receive updates to your smartphone, Model S owners receive updates to their car remotely without visiting a service center. The ability to receive these updates is free for the life of the vehicle.
Model S spesifikasjoner
- Tilgang til Teslas voksende superchargernettverk
- Mobillader og adapter for et 230 volt uttak (3-pins blå).
- 17" kapasitiv berøringsskjerm
- Innebygd kart og navigasjon med gratis oppdateringer i 7 år
- Automatisk nøkkelløs tilgang
- WiFi og Internett-tilkobling
- Kontroll fra mobilapp
- Innfelte dørhåndtak
- Ett-trykks elektriske vinduer
- HD ryggekamera
- GPS-aktivert Homelink
- Hands free-samtale med Bluetooth
- Stemmeaktiverte kontroller
- AM, FM og Internett-streaming radio
- Tilgjengelig Ultra hi-fi lydpakke med støtte for XM-radio
- Autodimmende bakspeil
- Elektrisk innfellbare speil med varme (minnefunksjon)
- To USB-porter foran for media og strøm
- 12 volt stikkontakt
- 12-veis, elektrisk-justerbare forseter med varme, minne og førerprofil
- Tilgjengelig vinterpakke med oppvarmede bakseter, vindusviskere, og oppvarmet frostvæske for spyling av frontruten
- Bagasjerom foran (ingen motor!), bakre bagasjerom og 60/40 baksete med oppbevaringsrom på 1795 liter
- Aktive sikkerhetsteknologier, inkludert kollisjonsunngåelse og automatisk nødbremsing, har begynt og sendes ut via trådløse oppdateringer
- Tilgjengelig med smart luftfjæring for å heve og senke kjørehøyde
- Åtte kollisjonsputer for førerens og passasjerenes hoder, knær og bekken pluss to sidekollisjonsputer
- Elektronisk stabilitetskontroll og antispinn
- Firehjuls blokkeringsfrie skivebremser med elektronisk parkeringsbrems
- Tre ISOFIX-fester på andre rad for barneseteinstallasjoner (plass til tre barneseter samtidig: to med ISOFIX og ett med toppfeste og belte)
Premium interiør og belysning tilføyer:
- Forbedringer med tanke på passform og finish, inkludert bruk av materialer med høyere kvalitet og stemningsbelysning
- Elektrisk bakluke
- Tåke- og kurvelys
- Opplyste dørhåndtak
- Innvendig effektbelysning
- Model S bilder
Model X er den tryggeste, raskeste og mest kapable SUV-en noensinne. Den kombinerer ytelse og nytte med unike egenskaper som inkluderer Falcon Wing-dører, glasstak og syvseterkonfigurasjon.
Batteriet et bygget på Tesla-plattformen, og dets plassering på gulvet gir Model X et ekstremt lavt tyngdepunkt. Det reduserer faren for å velte, noe som er vanlig for SUV-er. Uten motor har Model X en mye større støtabsorberende sone enn andre SUV-er, som absorberer energien fra en frontkollisjon. Sammen med standard aktive sikkerhetsfunksjoner, kollisjonstester viser at Model X vil få en 5-stjerners sikkerhetsvurdering i alle kategorier - den første SUV-en noensinne.
Model X sine Falcon Wing-dører tilbyr enestående komfort, inngang og manøvrerbarhet. Med mindre plass nødvendig for å åpne enn skyvedørene på en minivan, forenkler de dobbelt hengslede dørene lasting av et barn i baksetet på trange parkeringsplasser. Hvorfor skal sjåføren ha behov for å berøre døren? Auto-presenterende dører åpner og lukker seg automatisk når føreren nærmer seg eller trer ut av Model X.
Med en frontrute som strekker seg opp og over de to fremste setene, kan passasjerer oppleve en følelse av åpenhet og vidstrakt utsikt over seg.
Få plass til alt
Three rows of seats, a front and rear trunk, room under the second row seats, side pockets and a blind holster for your iPhone, big or little, there’s a place to store it in Model X.
For tyngre oppdrag er Model X den første elbilen med en slepekapasitet på 2,26796 tonn.
Model X er verdens reneste SUV innvendig. Med et HEPA-filtersystem, kan ren luft fylle bilen uansett hva som foregår utenfor.
Det er tre innstillinger: sirkuler med utvendig luft, resirkuler innvendig luft og en beskyttelsesinnstilling mot biologiske våpen som lager positivt trykk inni bilen for å beskytte dem som sitter der.
Smidighet, hastighet og aerodynamikk
Model X oppnår 0-100 km/t på svimlende 3,3 sekunder med en toppfart på 250 km/t, alt uten å produsere noe utslipp. Med en aktiv spoiler som automatisk tilpasses for maksimum effektivitet har Model X den laveste luftmotstandskoeffisient av noen SUV.
Model X spesifikasjoner
- Regelmessige trådløse oppdateringer gir ekstra sikkerhets- og navigasjonsfunksjoner, samt forbedrer både ytelsen og førerens opplevelse
- Tilgang til Teslas voksende superchargernettverk
- Kart og navigasjon med sanntids trafikkinformasjon
- GPS-aktivert Homelink
- Aktive sikkerhetsteknologier, inkludert kollisjonsunngåelse og automatisk nødbremsing, har begynt og sendes ut via trådløse oppdateringer
- Elektrisk firehjulsdrift for maksimal effektivitet og trekkraft
- Parkeringssensorer og dødvinkelvarsling
- Frontlykter med LED
- Elektrisk innfellbare og oppvarmede sidespeil
- Opp til fire ISOFIX-barnesetefester
- Den største panoramafrontruten i helglass som er i produksjon, noe som gir en enestående utsikt
- Falcon Wing-dører gir enkel tilgang til andre og tredje seterad, selv fra trange parkeringsplasser.
- Automatisk nøkkelløs tilgang
- Automatisk hevet bakdør
- Største indre lagringskapasitet i sin klasse: 2.180 liter i interiørkonfigurasjonen med seks seter
- Bagasjerom foran med plass til bagasje, barnevogner eller to golfbagger
- 8-års ubegrenset km, batteri- og drivenhetsgaranti
- 5-års, 100.000 km begrenset garanti
Tesla Autopilot is an increasingly capable suite of safety and convenience features that make personal transportation safer and more enjoyable. Since September 2014, Autopilot hardware has come standard in all Tesla vehicles, and Tesla has continued to refine and enhance the Autopilot system since its features were first enabled in cars in October 2015 via over-the-air software updates. Data shows that, when used properly, drivers supported by Autopilot are safer than those operating without assistance. Eventually, full autonomy will enable a Tesla to be substantially safer than a human driver.
In its current form, Autopilot is an advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) that classifies as a Level 2 automated system by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). It is designed as a hands-on experience to give drivers more confidence behind the wheel, increase their safety on the road, and make highway driving more enjoyable by reducing the driver’s workload.
Autopilot’s safety and convenience capabilities are designed to be additive to the driver’s by augmenting their perception, improving their decision making, and assisting in their control of the vehicle. Its user interface has been carefully designed to encourage proper use and to give drivers intuitive access to the information the car is using to inform its actions, via a detailed visual display on the instrument panel and clear audible cues. As Autopilot technology continues to be developed, more advanced functionality will be made available to Tesla owners over time nearing full self-driving capabilities; however, until truly driverless cars are developed and approved by regulators, the driver is responsible for and must remain in control of their car at all times.
Today, Model S and Model X owners enjoy features like Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and Summon, and Tesla is continuously innovating to keep customers at the forefront of technology through over-the-air software updates.
New Autopilot Hardware
In October 2016, Tesla announced that all vehicles in production, as well as the forthcoming Model 3, will be built with an updated hardware suite, equipping each Tesla with the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.
Eight surround cameras provide 360 degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead. To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with over 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses.
Vehicles equipped with this hardware will continue to become more capable as new safety and convenience features are rolled out over time through over-the-air updates. These updates will significantly advance the driving experience and are available in two options:
- Enhanced Autopilot enables your Tesla to match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage. Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver’s assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times.
- Self-Driving, where permitted by regulatory approval, will ultimately take you from home to work and find a parking space for you on its own.
Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the new sensor suite using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and performance. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, and Autopilot functionality such as lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time.
First Generation Autopilot
Autopilot in vehicles built between September 2014 and October 2016 uses a combination of a camera and radar with enhanced processing, 12 ultrasonic sensors and navigation data to steer within a lane, change lanes on prompt, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Autopilot features were first introduced to Tesla owners in October 2015 via a free over-the-air software update, and were found in several independent studies to be the most advanced Level 2 driver assistance features available: Autofil, Car & Driver, The Drive, Motor Trend.
Standard Autopilot features include:
- Autosteer and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control – Autosteer assists the driver on the road by steering within a lane. It relies on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to maintain the car’s speed in relation to surrounding traffic.
- Auto Lane Change – By engaging the turn signal when Autosteer is engaged, drivers can be assisted in transitioning to an adjacent lane on the right or left side of the car, when it is safe to do so.
- Autopark – When driving at low speeds on urban streets, a “P” will appear on the Instrument Panel when a Tesla detects a parking spot. The Autopark guide will appear on the touchscreen along with the rear camera display, and, once activated, Autopark will begin to maneuver the vehicle into the parking space by controlling vehicle speed, gear changes and steering.
- Summon – With Summon, you can move Model S in and out of a parking space from outside the vehicle using the mobile app or the key.
En kritisk del av overgangen til elektriske biler er å lage en sømløs og praktisk ladeopplevelse uansett hvor kundene velger å reise. Tesla-eiere nyter hvor enkelt det er å plugge inn bilen hvor som helst for å lade. Enten det er hjemme, på kontoret eller på langtur, passer Tesla på deg.
Den mest praktiske måten å lade Tesla på er hjemme. Model S og Model X gir god rekkevidde for daglig reise. Flertallet av eierne kjører i løpet av dagen og etterfyller resten av den gjenværende ladingen om natten, for å slik våkne til et fulladet batteri om morgenen. Forestill deg å aldri måtte besøke en bensinstasjon på nytt.
Supercharge på veien
Designet og bygget av Tesla, supercharger-stasjoner lader Model S og Model X i løpet av minutter i stedet for timer. Superchargere er strategisk plassert for å la eiere kjøre fra stasjon til stasjon med et minimalt antall stopp. Stasjonene ligger i nærheten av fasiliteter som restauranter, kafeer, Wi-Fi-koblingspunkter og kjøpesentre.
Superchargeren er mye kraftigere enn all annen ladeteknologi som er tilgjengelig nå og gir opptil 120 KW strøm, som lader opp halve batteriet på ca. 30 minutter.
Supercharger-nettverket dekker hovedveier i Nord-Amerika, Europa og Asia. Det finnes mer enn 3000 Superchargere verden over.
Lad opp når du kommer fram
Destinasjonslading-programmet gir bekvemmeligheten Model S- og Model X-eiere er vant til hjemmefra. Hoteller, restauranter og resorter tilbyr de samme kontaktene eierne våre ofte installerer i garasjene sine. Disse veggkontaktene øker rekkevidden med opptil 96 kilometer per time, noe som lett fullader Model S og Model X på noen få timer.
For å se alle våre nåværende lokasjoner, besøk «Finn oss»-siden her.
Verden bruker 20 billioner kWh energi årlig.
In 2016, CO2 concentration levels permanently exceeded the alarming 400 parts per million threshold. Many climate scientists believe this level will have a catastrophic impact on the environment. According to NASA, 2016 also had the warmest September in 136 years of modern record-keeping.
Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy – so that we can have a better future.
There are three key components that can help address climate change and have a positive impact on the world: sustainable energy generation, batteries and electric cars. These solutions already exist independently, but when combined, they become even more powerful.
The Tesla and SolarCity solar roof is a complete roof that is beautiful, durable and brings renewable electricity production to any home or business. When Tesla and SolarCity embarked to design and engineer the solar roof together, the goal was to create the most beautiful and efficient roof ever – one that would make homes look better while reducing the cost of electricity.
The solar roof consists of uniquely designed glass tiles that complement the aesthetics of any home, embedded with the highest efficiency photovoltaic cells. It is infinitely customizable for a variety of different home styles, each uniquely engineered so that the photovoltaic cells are invisible. Customers can choose which sections of their roof will contain the hidden solar technology while still having the entire roof look the same. These new roofs will seamlessly and beautifully supply renewable energy to homes, battery storage systems and back into the grid creating savings for owners. When combined with Tesla Powerwall, the solar roof can power an entire home with 100% renewable energy.
The solar roof is offered in four beautiful styles – Textured Glass Tile, Slate Glass Tile, Tuscan Glass Tile, and Smooth Glass Tile – to complement a variety of architectural styles.
Introduced in October 2016, Powerwall 2 is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery designed to enable self-consumption of solar power, emergency backup, load shifting and other grid service applications. It is the second generation of Tesla’s original Powerwall product, which was first introduced to customers in 2015.
Powerwall 2 consists of a 14 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, liquid thermal control system, an integrated inverter and software that intelligently dispatches electricity when it’s needed most. The unit mounts seamlessly on a wall or on the ground, indoors or outdoors, and is integrated with the grid to export excess energy, maximizing the opportunity for economic benefit.
The battery can provide a number of different beneﬁts to the customer including:
- Increasing self-consumption of solar power generation – The Powerwall can store surplus solar energy not used at the time it is generated and use that energy later when the sun isn’t shining. This functionality can extend the environmental and cost benefits of solar.
- Load shifting – The battery can provide economic benefit to its owner and the grid by charging during low rate periods when demand for electricity is lower and discharging during more expensive rate periods when electricity demand is higher.
- Back-up power – Assures power in the event of a grid outage.
Powerpack 2 is offered in two versions, AC and DC, to provide customers with the greatest flexibility whether they are installing new solar, have existing solar, or want to use Powerwall as a standalone product for backup or time of use. Powerwall costs $5,500 (DC Powerwall includes DC/DC converter and AC Powerwall includes DC/AC Tesla integrated inverter.)
Powerwall 2 specs:
- Mounting: Wall or Floor Mounted, Indoor/Outdoor
- Inverter: Fully integrated Tesla inverter
- Usable Capacity: 13.5 kWh
- Power: 5 kW continuous, 7 kW peak
- Round Trip Efficiency: 89% for AC Powerwall, 92% for DC Powerwall
- Operating Temperature Range: –20°C to 50°C (–4°F to 122°F)
- Garanti: 10 år
- Dimensions: 1150 mm x 755 mm x 155 mm (45.3 in x 29.7 in x 6.1 in)
- Weight: 120 kg (265 lbs)
The Tesla Powerpack system delivers broad application compatibility and streamlined installation for businesses and utilities by integrating batteries, power electronics, thermal management and controls into a turnkey solution.
Powerpack 2, Tesla’s second generation Powerpack system, began shipping to customers in September 2016. It features a new energy module and power electronics, providing twice the energy density of the previous Powerpack, and a more seamless integration into multiple levels of the grid. Powerpack 2 is also now matched with a new inverter, designed by Tesla and manufactured at the Gigafactory. This inverter is the lowest cost, highest efficiency and highest power density utility-scale inverter on the market. It also significantly simplifies the installation process of the entire Powerpack system by integrating a number of previously independent components into the inverter itself.
Between one and 20 Powerpacks can be connected per Tesla inverter and systems can easily accommodate multiple inverters, enabling flexible system sizing and design for any project. Scalable from 200 kWh to 100+ MWh, Powerpack 2 is the new standard for commercial and utility scale battery solutions.
Powerpack 2 helps businesses gain greater control, efficiency and reliability across the electric grid by enabling them to:
- Avoid peak demand charges
- Buy electricity when it’s cheapest
- Participate in grid services
- Microgrid or back up for critical business operations in the event of a power outage
- Maximize consumption of on-site renewable power
The StubHub Center
Home of MLS’s LA Galaxy, the StubHub Center recently powered up a 2 MWh (20 Powerpacks) system to help the stadium manage energy costs and reduce its impact on the Southern California power grid. Sports venues put a tremendous strain on the grid during short, powerful energy events. A Powerpack system enables StubHub to store electricity during off-peak times, when the grid is more capable and favors delivering excess electricity, then discharge to the stadium during peak evening hours when the grid is under its heaviest load. This project is the first deployment of battery storage technology at a major U.S. sports venue.
Irvine Ranch Water District
This 7 MW, 3.4 MWh (34 Powerpacks) Tesla Powerpack system represents the largest energy storage integration at any public water agency in the U.S.
Singita Lebombo and Sweni Lodges, Kruger National Park, South Africa
The Kruger National Park is the largest natural sanctuary in South Africa. This iconic protected ecosystem has environmental sustainability at the core of its mission. Now, an offgrid 3.15 MWh Powerpack system (15 Powerpacks) tied to on-site solar panels from SolarAfrica and will ensure that electricity for the lodges is generated locally, efficiently, and sustainably from renewable energy.
For utility scale systems, 200kWh battery blocks are grouped to scale from 500kWh to 100MWh+. These systems are capable of 2hr or 4hr continuous net discharge power using grid tied bi-directional inverters. Powerpack systems support applications including peak shaving, load shifting and demand response for commercial customers while offering renewable firming and a variety of grid services at utility scales. Powerpack enables utilities to:
- Firm up renewable generation by reconciling the intermittency of power from these sources and storing excess capacity to dispatch when it’s needed.
- Increase resource capacity. Powerpack acts as on-demand capacity (either generation or T&D), while adding resiliency to the grid.
- Ramp Control - Powerpack can act as a buffer while the power output from a large generation source is ramping up or down, delivering power instantly to smoothly transition output to the required levels.
- Provide ancillary services such as frequency response.
- Defer costly and time-consuming grid infrastructure upgrades. Powerpacks consume no water and don’t require detailed environmental reviews.
- Manage peak demand by deploying power within seconds or milliseconds.
Highlighted Powerpack Utility Customers:
Aliso Canyon Southern California Edison
Last year’s rupture in the Aliso Canyon natural gas reservoir caused a methane gas spill that displaced more than 8,000 Californians and released an unprecedented 1.6 million pounds of methane into the atmosphere. Los Angeles is still in need of an electric energy solution that ensures reliability during peak times and protects the city from the risk of rolling blackouts. Tesla is providing a 20 MW, 80 MWh Powerpack system at the Southern California Edison substation, which, once complete in 2016, will be the largest lithium ion battery storage project in the world.
This 13MW SolarCity photovoltaic array plus 52MWh Tesla Powerpack system is being built under contract with Kaua’i Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC). The system will store solar energy created during the day and feed it to the grid during the evening hours to help reduce the amount of diesel power generation needed to meet the island’s electricity demand. This is the first time a utility has contracted for a system that stores and releases solar energy after sunset, and will help KIUC meet its goal of using renewable resources to generate half of Kaua‘i’s electricity by the end of 2019.
Vector, New Zealand’s largest energy infrastructure company, is looking at storage of all types, from distributed systems behind the meter using Tesla Powerwall to large scale grid-tied systems using Powerpack. The Glen Innes substation in a residential neighborhood has seen increasing loads in recent years as the neighborhood is growing rapidly. Vector was able to replace the need for expensive and time consuming conventional upgrades to its substation by installing a 1MW/2.3MWh Powerpack system, which is purposed to reduce grid load during high peak times.
Powerpack 2 specs:
- Inverter: Tesla inverter
- Inverter Efficiency: 99%
- Energy: 210 kWh to hundreds of MWh
- Power: 50 kW to 100+ MW
- Round Trip Efficiency (whole system): 89%
- Operating Temperature Range: –30°C to 50°C (–22°F to 122°F)
Tesla + SolarCity
A combined Tesla and SolarCity will be able to offer customers better and more affordable ways to drive clean cars, use battery packs to consume energy more efficiently, and make use of solar energy. A suite of integrated sustainable energy products will add aesthetics and function to households and businesses while reducing cost. What’s more, customers will benefit from just one installation, from one company, for a seamless system that just works.
Tesla already offers batteries and electric cars, and SolarCity already offers sustainable energy generation. Together, Tesla and SolarCity have introduced an integrated system that illustrates what the companies can do together. This system is beautiful, customizable, and offers a smart and simple way for people to live sustainably.
Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy through increasingly affordable electric vehicles and renewable energy generation and storage. At the heart of these products are batteries.
Tesla has seen enormous demand for our energy products and electric vehicles. Today, there are more than 180,000 Tesla vehicles on the road and we’ve delivered more than 300 MWh of energy storage to customers in 18 countries.
With the acceleration of Tesla’s vehicle build plan to 500k cars by 2018, the Gigafactory timeline is also accelerated to prepare cells and packs ahead of vehicle production. By 2018, we plan to produce 35 GWh of lithium-ion battery cells annually, nearly as much as the rest of the entire world’s battery production combined.
We will reduce the cost of lithium-ion batteries through economies of scale and innovative manufacturing, reduction of logistics inefficiency, optimization of co-located processes and reduced overhead.
Gigafactory Facts & Figures
- Total Land Area: 3,200 acres
- Biggest building in the world by footprint at 5.8 million square feet
- The footprint of the completed Gigafactory will equate to about 101 football fields
- Tesla broke ground on June 26, 2014.
- The current structure has a 1.9 million square-foot footprint. Including several levels, the factory currently is about 4.9 million square feet of operational space. This represents ~30 percent of the total finished Gigafactory.
- Once complete, we expect the Gigafactory to be the biggest building in the world.
- The factory is built in phases so that we can begin manufacturing immediately inside the finished portions and more importantly adjust for improved learning as we build additional space.
- The Gigafactory production line is extremely flexible and will allow for production changes inside the factory as battery technology and architecture change over the next decades.
- The Gigafactory will manufacture battery cells, modules, and other components aimed to reduce costs, ensure a stable supply, and expand Tesla’s business accordingly.
- The Gigafactory is producing a Tesla/Panasonic designed and engineered cell called a “2170 cell,” as the diameter is 21mm in x 70mm in height.
- The cell offers the best optimization of performance metrics needed for an EV at the lowest production cost. The size also works well for other large battery packs, such as Tesla Energy Products, Powerwall and Powerpack.
- Production of 2170 cells for qualification started in December 2016 and mass production began on January 4, 2017. The cells coming off the line today will be used in Tesla’s Powerwall 2 and Powerpack 2 energy products.
- Production for Model 3 cells will start in Q2.
- Tesla continues to show an overwhelming commitment to the Nevada workforce, well beyond the state’s requirement that 50 percent of employees be Nevada residents. Nevadans currently average 63 percent of the construction workforce at the Gigafactory and 96 percent of the employee workforce.
- By bringing cell production to the U.S., Tesla will create thousands of more American jobs. In 2017 alone, Tesla and Panasonic will hire several thousand local employees.
- At peak production, the Gigafactory will employ 6,500 people (targeted for 2018) and eventually as many as 10,000 employees. Indirectly, the Gigafactory will create between 20,000 to 30,000 additional jobs in the surrounding regions.
Energy use and recycling
- The Gigafactory is designed to be a net zero energy factory upon completion. It will not consume any fossil fuels – there is no natural gas piped to the site nor are there permanent diesel generators being used to provide power. Emergency backup is fed from various electric sources including renewable energy and storage products.
- The Gigafactory’s electricity will, in part, come from solar. The entire roof of the factory will be covered in solar array. Power not consumed during the day will be stored via Tesla Powerpacks for use when needed.
- To use water efficiently, the Gigafactory will have its own water recycling and treatment facility. The Gigafactory’s closed-loop water supply system uses numerous different treatment systems to efficiently re-circulate water.
- Construction is underway for an on-site recycling facility that will safely reprocess all types of Tesla battery cells, modules, and packs for reuse in new cells or non-toxic solid waste by-product. Since Tesla battery packs do not contain any toxic materials or heavy metals, they will eventually be returned to the Gigafactory at the end of their lifecycle, where all components can be broken down and recycled to become new packs.