Front and Rear Seats
Correct Driving Position
The seat, head support, seat belt and airbags work together to maximize your safety. Using these correctly ensures greater protection.
Position the seat so you can wear the seat belt correctly, while being as far away from the front airbag as possible:
- Sit upright with both feet on the floor and the seat back reclined no more than 30 degrees.
- Make sure you can easily reach the pedals and that your arms are slightly bent when holding the steering wheel. Your chest should be at least 25 cm from the center of the airbag cover.
- Place the shoulder section of the seat belt mid-way between your neck and your shoulder. Fit the lap section of the belt tightly across your hips, not across your stomach.
Model X seats include integrated head supports that cannot be adjusted or removed.
Adjusting the Front Seats
- Move seat forward/backward and adjust the seat’s height and tilt angle up/down.
- Adjust backrest.
- Adjust lumbar support.
Adjusting Second Row Monopost Seats
A Model X equipped with monopost seats can accommodate two or three passengers in the second row, depending on the option chosen at time of purchase. There are two ways to adjust the position of these seats:
- Touch NoteThe front seats may move forward slightly to accommodate the forward movement of the second row seats.
on the touchscreen. Press and hold the icon associated with the seat you want to adjust. White icons indicate that the seat can be moved in that direction; gray icons indicate that the seat cannot be moved any farther in that direction.
- Use the manual adjustments illustrated below. In addition to moving a seat forward/rearward, the manual seat adjustments allow you to adjust the backrest. Although the control on the outboard seats is L-shaped, and the control on the middle seat is circular, they both provide the same functions.
- Move seat forward/backward (up/down on the control) and adjust the backrest (left/right on the control).
- Move seat forward/backward.
- Adjust backrest.
Adjusting Second Row Seat Backs (Bench Seats)
If your Model X is equipped with two seating rows, the second row bench seats can accommodate up to three passengers. Use the mechanical adjustment lever located at the side of each outboard seating position to adjust the seat backs. A bench seat is split 60/40 so the adjustment lever on the left side moves the seat backs for both the left and center seats, whereas the lever on the right side moves the rightmost seat back only. While pulling and holding the lever, move the seat back to the desired position, and then release the lever. When returning a seat back to its upright position, try moving it forward or back to ensure it is securely latched into position.
Folding Second Row Seat Backs (Bench Seats)
The second row seat backs on bench seats can be folded fully forward so they lay flat and maximize cargo space. Pull up the mechanical lever located on the side of each outboard seat (the same lever you use to recline the seats, as described above), then push the seat back fully forward. The bench seats have a 60/40 split—therefore, the adjustment lever on the left side folds the seat backs for both the left and center seats, whereas the lever on the right folds the rightmost seat back only.
Moving Second Row Bench Seats
Use the mechanical lever located beneath each outboard seating position to move the second row seats forward or rearward. The bench seats have a 60/40 split—therefore, the lever on the left side moves the seat for the left and center seats, whereas the lever on the right side moves only the rightmost seat. Pull and hold the lever while moving the seat forward or rearward. Release the lever when the seat is at the desired location.
Accessing Third Row Seats (if equipped) - Monopost Seating
A button is located on the backrest of each outboard monopost seat in the second row. This button makes it easy for passengers to enter and exit the third row seating positions. Touchand choose how you want this button to work:
- ON - Allows you to tilt and move the associated outboard seat fully forward, and the center seat partially forward, with a single-press of the button.
- OFF - When off, which is recommended if a child seat is installed in the second row, you must hold the button to move the second row seats forward.
After using the third row ingress button to access third row seats, simply press the button again to return the seats to their normal position.
Guidelines for using the third row ingress button:
- If a front row seat is positioned such that the second row seat will collide with it during an easy entry operation, it automatically moves forward just enough to accommodate the forward position of the second row monopost seat.
- Forward movement of second row monopost seats cancels if an occupant adjusts a second row seat while it is moving.
- When an outboard seat tilts forward after pressing the button, its backrest resets to the forward position and may need to be re-adjusted for comfort.
Accessing Third Row Seats (if equipped) - Bench Seating
A button is located on the backrest of each outboard bench seat in the second row. This button makes it easy for passengers to enter and exit the third row seating positions. Press and release the button on the left outboard seat to tilt and move the combined left and center seats forward. Press and release the button on the right outboard seat to tilt and move the right seat forward.
In some situations, such as when you are parked on an incline or when the seat's trim affects the movement of the bench seats after you press the button, the bench seats might not move forward completely, and you may need to push the seats forward gently until they reach the end of the track.
Folding Third Row Seat Backs (if equipped)
To fold a third row seat, press the button located in the top outside corner of the seat. The button has two detents.
- Fold head restraint forward.
- Fold seat back forward.
The front seats contain heating pads that operate at three levels from 3 (highest) to 1 (lowest). To operate the seat heaters, see Climate Controls.
If Model X is equipped with the cold weather package, you can also control seat heaters in all rear seating positions, as well as wiper defrosters and washer nozzles by touching the climate controls on the touchscreen (see Climate Controls).