Smart Summon is designed to allow you to move Model X to your location (using your phone's GPS as a target destination) or to a location of your choice, maneuvering around and stopping for objects as necessary. Smart Summon works with the Tesla mobile app when your phone is located within approximately 6 meters of Model X. Smart Summon maneuvers Model X out of parking spaces and around corners. This is useful for moving Model X out of a tight parking spot, through puddles, or helping you retrieve your car while carrying packages. You must maintain a clear line of sight between you and Model X and closely monitor the vehicle and its surroundings at all times.
Before Using Smart Summon
- Download the latest version of the Tesla mobile app to your phone, and ensure your phone has cellular service and GPS enabled.
- Your phone must be paired to Model X over Bluetooth (see Pairing a Bluetooth Phone) and located within approximately 6 meters.
- The vehicle's cameras must be fully calibrated (see Drive to Calibrate Cameras).
- You must have a clear line of sight to Model X.
- Model X must be in Park, not charging, and all doors and trunks must be closed.
Using Smart Summon
- Open the Tesla mobile app, and press Summon.
- Press the Smart Summon icon located in the center of the image of your Model X. It may take several seconds for Smart Summon to start up.NoteYou can use Standby Mode to eliminate the delay that occurs when Smart Summon is starting up (see Standby Mode).
The mobile app displays a map with a blue circle, which represents the maximum proximity of 6 meters that you must maintain between your phone and Model X. The blue dot on the map represents your location, and the red arrow represents the location of Model X.
- Position yourself anywhere within the blue circle where you have a clear line of sight to Model X.
- You can now operate Smart Summon using either of these modes:
- Come to Me mode: Press and hold the Come to Me button. Model X moves to your GPS location. As you move, Model X follows you. When Model X reaches you, it stops and shifts into park.
- Go to Target mode: Touch the crosshair icon then drag the map to position the pin on a chosen destination. Press and hold the Go to Target button. Model X moves to the destination. When reaching the location, Model X stops and shifts into Park and the mobile app displays a message indicating that Summon has completed. NoteTo subsequently change the location, lift your finger, reposition the map, then press and hold Go to Target again.
Immediately after initiating Smart Summon in either mode, hazard lights briefly flash, mirrors fold, and Model X shifts into Drive or Reverse. Model X then slowly moves to within 1 meter of you (COME TO ME) or your chosen destination (GO TO TARGET), navigating obstacles as needed. As Model X moves, the corresponding red arrow on the map also moves to show the vehicle’s location. As you move, the corresponding blue dot also moves to show your location.
In either mode, Model X stops moving and shifts into park when:
- You release the button on the mobile app.
- The maximum proximity of 6 meters between your phone and Model X is exceeded (if moving Model X to a destination away from you, you may need to follow the car to maintain this distance).
- The driving path is blocked.
Model X has moved the maximum distance of 20 meters since the start of the Smart Summon session.NoteIf Smart Summon moves Model X forward three meters and then backwards two meters, this is considered five meters of travel.
If equipped and Auto HomeLink is enabled for Summon (touch Model X is located inside a garage. The mobile app informs you that the door has opened.), Smart Summon automatically opens a HomeLink device if you start the Smart Summon maneuver when
To keep Model X ready to Summon and reduce the time it takes to warm up, turn on Standby Mode. Touch . When Standby Mode is turned on, you can conserve Battery energy by disabling Standby Mode at these locations:
- Exclude Home - Disables Standby Mode at the location you set as Home in your Favorites list.
- Exclude Work - Disables Standby Mode at the location you set as Work in your Favorites list.
- Exclude Favorites - Disables Standby Mode at any location in your Favorites list.
Stopping or Canceling Smart Summon
Smart Summon stops Model X whenever you release the button on the mobile app. To resume the Smart Summon session, simply press the Come to Me or Go to Target button again.
Smart Summon cancels, and requires you to restart it, when:
- You press any button on the key fob.
- A door handle is engaged or a door is opened.
- You interact with the steering wheel, brake pedal, accelerator pedal, or shift.
- Model X is blocked by an obstacle.
- Smart Summon has moved Model X the maximum distance of approximately 20 meters within a 6 meter radius of the phone's location. To move further than this distance, you must shift Model X into Drive or Reverse and then re-initiate a Smart Summon session.
- Your phone enters sleep mode or loses connectivity to Model X.
Smart Summon is unlikely to operate as intended in the following types of situations:
- GPS data is unavailable due to poor cellular coverage.
- The driving path is sloped. Smart Summon is designed to operate on flat roads only (up to 10% grade).
- A raised concrete edge is detected. Depending on the height of the concrete edge, Smart Summon may not move Model X over it.
- One or more of the ultrasonic sensors or cameras is damaged, dirty, or obstructed (such as by mud, ice, or snow, or by a vehicle bra, excessive paint, or adhesive products such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc.).
- Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, fog, or extremely hot or cold temperatures) are interfering with sensor or camera operation.
- The sensors are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.
- Model X is in Trailer Mode or an accessory is attached.