Removing the Maintenance Panel
To check fluid levels, remove the maintenance panel:
- Open the hood.
- Pull the maintenance panel upward to release the clips that hold it in place.
- If checking the Battery coolant, remove the cabin intake trim panel by pulling it upwards to release the clips that hold it in place.
Checking Battery Coolant
Your Battery coolant should not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances. However, the touchscreen displays a message if there is an issue with the quantity of fluid in the cooling system. Stop driving Model 3 as soon as safety permits and contact Tesla.
Fluid Level Check
DO NOT REMOVE THE FILLER CAP AND DO NOT ADD FLUID. Doing so can result in damage not covered by the warranty.
Do Not Top Up Battery Coolant
To maximize the performance and life of the Battery, the cooling system uses a specific mixture of G-48 ethylene-glycol coolant (HOAT). Contact Tesla for more specific information about the coolant.
Checking Brake Fluid
Topping Up the Brake Fluid
Do not top up your brake fluid. The following instructions are provided for information purposes and future reference only:
- Clean the filler cap before removing it to prevent dirt from entering the reservoir.
- Unscrew the cap and remove it.
- Top up the reservoir to the MAX mark using the appropriate brake fluid.
- Reinstall the filler cap, ensuring it is fully secured.
Topping Up Windshield Washer Fluid
The only reservoir into which you can add fluid is the windshield washer fluid reservoir, which is located behind the front trunk. When the level is low, a message displays on the touchscreen.
To top up the washer fluid:
- Open the hood.
- Clean around the filler cap before opening it to prevent dirt from entering the reservoir.
- Open the filler cap.
- While avoiding spilling, fill the reservoir until the fluid level is visible just below the filler neck. The reservoir has a capacity of 3.2 liters.
- Wipe up any spills immediately and wash the affected area with water.
- Reinstall the filler cap.