This feature may be temporarily limited or inactive until it is enabled with a future software update for vehicles manufactured as of approximately October 2022.
Summon allows you to automatically park and retrieve Model 3 while you are standing outside the vehicle. Summon moves Model 3 forward and reverse up to 39 ft. (12 meters) in, or out of, a parking space.
To move Model 3 a longer distance while steering around objects, you can use Smart Summon (if equipped) and your mobile phone. Smart Summon allows your vehicle to find you (or you can send your vehicle to a chosen location). See Smart Summon.
Summon requires that Model 3 can detect a valid key nearby.
Before Using Summon
Before operating Summon, use the touchscreen to enable it and customize how you want it to work. Touchand adjust the following settings to suit your preferences:
- Bumper Clearance: Set the distance that you want Summon to stop from a detected object (for example, you may want Summon to stop within just a few inches of a garage wall). Note that this distance applies only to objects that Summon detects directly in front of Model 3 when moving forward, or directly behind Model 3 when reversing.
- Summon Distance: Set a maximum distance that Model 3 can travel when entering or exiting a parking space.
- Side Clearance: Choose an option to specify how much side clearance you want to allow. Tight allows Model 3 to enter and exit very narrow parking spaces.WarningParking in a narrow space limits the ability of the cameras and sensors (if equipped) to accurately detect the location of obstacles, increasing the risk of damage to Model 3 and/or surrounding objects.
- Use Auto HomeLink (if equipped): Set to ON if you want to
activate HomeLink to open/close a programmed HomeLink device (such as a gate or
a garage door) during the parking process when using Summon. If enabled, the
device automatically opens and closes when Model 3 enters or exits during
a Summon session. In a
Smart Summon session (if equipped), the
device automatically opens when, at the beginning of a session, Smart Summon
detects that Model 3 is parked in a
garage.WarningAlways ensure that Model 3 is fully in or out of a garage before HomeLink lowers the garage door. Summon and Smart Summon (if equipped) cannot detect where an overhead door will lower.NoteWhen enabled, the HomeLink device automatically opens and closes when using Summon, and automatically opens as needed when using Smart Summon (if equipped). To automate HomeLink in other situations (such as normal driving), you must adjust the HomeLink device's main settings by touching the HomeLink icon at the top of the Controls screen (see Smart Garage).
The above settings, with the exception of HomeLink, apply only to Summon—not Smart Summon (if equipped) (see Before Using Smart Summon). You cannot customize Smart Summon's bumper clearance, distance, and side clearance. And when using Smart Summon, you must always hold down the button on the mobile app to keep Model 3 moving. Also, Smart Summon operates with the mobile app only—not the key fob accessory. All settings are retained until you manually change them.
Using Summon to Park and Retrieve your Vehicle
Follow these steps to use Summon to park your Model 3:
- Align Model 3 within 39 ft. (12 meters) of the parking space so Model 3 can follow a straight path into or out of the space in either Drive or Reverse.
- From outside the vehicle, initiate the parking maneuver by touching Summon on the mobile app, then holding down the Forward or Reverse button.
Summon shifts Model 3 into Drive or Reverse (based on the direction you specified) and drives into or out of the parking space. When parking is complete, or if an obstacle is detected, Summon shifts Model 3 into Park. Summon shifts Model 3 into Park when:
- Model 3 detects an obstacle in its driving path (within the Bumper Clearance setting that you specified).
- Summon has moved Model 3 the maximum distance of 39 ft. (12 meters).
- You release the Forward or Reverse button.
- You press any button to manually stop Summon.
If you used Summon to park Model 3, you can then use Summon to return Model 3 back to its original position (provided Model 3 has remained in Park), or to the maximum Summon Distance that you have specified (whichever comes first). Simply specify the opposite direction on the mobile app and Summon moves Model 3 along the original path, provided no obstructions have been introduced. If an obstacle is detected, Model 3 attempts to avoid the obstacle while staying very close to its original path (Summon does not steer around obstacles).
Stopping or Canceling Summon
Stop Model 3 at any time while Summon is active by using the mobile app or by pressing any button on the key fob accessory. Summon also cancels when:
- A door handle is engaged or a door is opened.
- You interact with the steering wheel, brake pedal, accelerator pedal, or shift.
- Model 3 detects an obstacle.
- Summon has moved Model 3 the maximum distance of approximately 39 ft. (12 meters).
- Your phone enters sleep mode or loses connectivity to Model 3.