Starting and Powering Off
- Press the brake pedal - Model 3 powers on and is ready to drive.
- Select a drive mode - move the drive stalk down for Drive or up for Reverse (see Shifting).
Everything you need to know when driving Model 3 displays on the touchscreen.
Drive Disabled - Requires Authentication
If Model 3 does not detect a key when you press the brake (a key fob or phone key is not detected or two minutes have passed since you used the key card), the touchscreen displays a message telling you that driving requires authentication.
If you see this message, place the key card behind the cup holders where the RFID transmitter can read it. The two-minute authentication period restarts and you can start Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal.
A number of factors can affect whether Model 3 can detect a phone key or key fob (for example, the device's battery is low or dead and is no longer able to communicate using Bluetooth).
Always keep your phone key, key fob, or a key card with you. After driving, your key is needed to restart Model 3 after it powers off. And when you leave Model 3, you must bring your key with you to lock Model 3, either manually or automatically.
When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the drive stalk. When you leave Model 3 with your phone key and key fob, it powers off automatically, turning off the touchscreen.
Model 3 also powers off automatically after being in Park for 30 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.
Although usually not needed, you can power off Model 3 while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch . Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.
Restarting the Touchscreen
You can restart your touchscreen if it is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior.
- Shift into Park.
- Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black.
- After a few seconds, the Tesla logo appears. Wait approximately 30 seconds for the touchscreen to restart. If the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior after a few minutes, try power cycling the vehicle. See Power Cycling the Vehicle.
Power Cycling the Vehicle
You can power cycle Model 3 if it demonstrates unusual behavior or displays a nondescript alert.
- Shift into Park.
- On the touchscreen, touch .
- Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
- After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.