Touchto choose a preferred acceleration mode:
- Chill limits acceleration
for a slightly smoother and gentler ride.NoteWhen Chill is selected, Chill displays on the instrument panel, above the driving speed.
- Sport provides the normal level of acceleration.
- Insane (called Plaid on performance
vehicles, if equipped) provides the maximum level of acceleration immediately
available.NoteUsing the increased torque and power available in Insane or Plaid mode can reduce range and efficiency.NoteInsane or Plaid strives to keep the Battery within an optimal temperature range. In addition to heating the Battery, these settings also cool the Battery when necessary (for example, while driving at high speeds, during rapid acceleration, driving for long periods, etc.).
In addition, Model S features Drag Strip Mode. Using Drag Strip Mode to precondition your Model S is useful before a short distance race.
Drag Strip Mode
Drag Strip Mode preconditions the Battery and drive unit to ideal operating temperatures for timed acceleration. Model S stays in Drag Strip Mode for three hours, even if you leave the vehicle. After three hours, the feature times out to prevent unnecessary energy consumption (for example, you leave the vehicle and forget to cancel Drag Strip Mode).
When using Drag Strip Mode, Model S consumes more energy to keep the Battery within an optimal temperature range.
Cancel Drag Strip Mode at any time by toggling Drag Strip Mode off.
How to Launch the Vehicle
The touchscreen provides visual instructions on how to launch:
- Touch .
- Wait for the instrument panel to indicate that the vehicle is Peak Performance Ready.
- With Model S shifted into Drive and at a complete stop, firmly hold the brake pedal with your left foot, then fully press the accelerator pedal.
- Once step 3 is complete, the front
suspension begins lowering into a "cheetah stance".NoteSuspension lowering for "cheetah stance" significantly reduces ground clearance.
- Wait for the instrument panel to indicate that Drag Strip Mode is Ready to Launch.
- Once you see "Cheetah Stance Enabled" and "Ready to launch" on the instrument panel, release the brake pedal to launch the vehicle.