USB Drive Requirements for Recording Videos
Some features require you to use a USB drive (for example, Dashcam, Sentry Mode) that meet these requirements:
- Minimum storage capacity of 64 GB. Use a USB drive with as much available storage as possible. Video footage can occupy a large amount of space.
- A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s. Note that sustained write speed differs from peak write speed.
- USB 2.0 compatible. If using a USB 3.0 drive, it must also support USB 2.0.
- Properly formatted (described below).
Automatically Formatting a USB Drive
Insert the USB drive into a front USB port and touch. This automatically formats the USB drive as exFAT and creates a folder for TeslaCam. The USB drive is now ready to record and save video footage.
Format USB Drive is available only when a USB drive (with one or fewer partitions) is inserted into a front USB port. Choosing Format USB Drive erases any existing content on the USB drive—before using this feature, move any content you want to keep to a different device.
Manually Formatting a USB Drive
If Model Y is unable to format the USB drive, format it using a computer:
- Format the USB drive as exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported).
- Create a base-level folder titled TeslaCam. You can use one USB drive for Dashcam, Sentry Mode, , and audio files, but you must create separate partitions for each folder on an exFAT USB drive.
- Once formatted, insert the USB drive into a front (or glovebox, if equipped) USB port. Do not use a rear USB port because they can be used only to charge devices. It may take a few seconds for Model Y to recognize the USB drive.
- Once recognized, ensure
icons for Dashcam and Sentry Mode are available when you touch
Controls. Model Y is now ready to record
videos.NoteYou may need to first enable Sentry Mode (if equipped) by touching .
Viewing Video Recordings
If footage is saved, you can view the clips on the touchscreen or a computer.
When the USB drive runs out of storage space, video footage can no longer be saved. To prevent the USB drive from getting full, regularly move saved videos to another device and delete them from the USB drive.
Viewing on the Touchscreen
You can view recorded footage on the touchscreen when Model Y is in Park. Touch the Dashcam icon located in the app launcher, or the Dashcam icon on the Controls screen. Touch the menu icon in the top corner of the screen. The tabs display a list of all video clips, organized by location and timestamp. Pause, rewind, fast forward, and delete clips as needed.
Navigate toto delete all Dashcam and Sentry Mode footage.
Viewing on a Computer
Insert the USB drive into a computer and navigate to the TeslaCam (if equipped) folder.
The TeslaCam folder contains sub-folders:
- Saved Clips: Contains all recordings that are saved using Dashcam.
- Sentry Clips: Contains recordings from all Sentry Mode security events. If storage space on the USB drive becomes limited, the oldest Sentry Clips are deleted to provide space for new ones. Once deleted, you cannot retrieve them.