Model Y Tow Package
When using the tow package to carry accessories, the 2" x 2" (5 cm x 5 cm) square hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 160 lbs. The Model Y Tow Package comes with:
- 1 x high strength steel tow bar with 2" hitch receiver and North America 7-pin standard connector
- 1 x trailer harness
- 1 x tow mode software package
Ball mounts are not included and are dependent on the type of trailer you are towing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I purchase the Model Y Tow Package?
Model Y Tow Package can be purchased with your Model Y. You can also visit the Tesla online store to purchase the tow package for your Model Y. Price includes shipping and installation. This product will ship to your preferred Tesla Service Center.
How can I install a ball mount and tow a trailer?
You will first need a ball mount. Compatible ball mounts must be purchased separately based on the type of trailer you are towing. The Model Y hitch receiver supports a ball mount with a length of up to 8.5” (22 cm) and a raise of up to 0.75” (2 cm). Please note that ball mounts that do not meet these requirements cannot be used. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for more information.
Start by attaching the ball mount. To attach a ball mount:
- Remove the dust cover from the hitch housing by using a small object, such as a flat screwdriver, to carefully pry between the dust cover and hitch housing. Store the dust cover in a secure location.
- If needed, remove the cotter pin from the locking bolt and slide the locking bolt out of the hitch assembly.
- Align the hole in the ball holder with the one in the hitch assembly.
- Slide the locking bolt through the hitch assembly or ball holder.
- Insert the cotter pin in the hole at the end of the locking bolt.
The driver is responsible for ensuring that the trailer is equipped with any features and functionality required by law, including but not limited to, taillights, brake lights, side marker lights and turn signals. To power the trailer lighting, a built-in 7-pin standard wiring connector is available near the hitch. This supports most types of trailers. Adapters for other types of connectors can be purchased separately. Plug in the trailer wiring into the Model Y electrical connector to automatically engage Trailer Mode.
Please note that it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that all electrical connections are working and all trailer lights are operating before and during towing. You must perform manual checks. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for more information.
How can I remove a ball mount?
To remove a ball mount:
- Remove the cotter pin from the locking bolt and slide the locking bolt out of the hitch assembly or ball assembly.
- Pull the ball holder out of the hitch assembly.
- Reinstall the dust cover for the hitch housing and store the ball mount in a secure location.
What does Trailer Mode do?
Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. Some Autopilot features such as Autopark and Autosteer, as well as rear parking sensor functionality, may not be available when Trailer Mode is enabled.
In addition, the following features operate differently:
- Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
- The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking may be limited. Therefore, stopping distance may increase.
How can I enable Trailer Mode?
When you connect a trailer’s electrical connection while the vehicle is in Park, Model Y automatically enables Trailer Mode. Disconnecting the trailer’s electrical connection does not automatically disable Trailer Mode. Trailer Mode can be manually enabled or disabled from your touchscreen by selecting Controls > Driving > Trailer Mode. Trailer Mode must always be enabled when towing a trailer.
Please note that Autopilot features along with rear parking sensor functionality may not be available when Trailer Mode is enabled. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for more information.
Will towing a trailer impact range?
Yes. Since towing a trailer increases the vehicle weight and drag, driving range can decrease. Your Trip Planner will adjust estimates based on Trailer Mode; however, actual energy consumption may vary. We recommend drivers plan trip lengths and charging destinations accordingly when towing a trailer.
How can I install and use an accessory carrier?
Tesla offers a Model Y Hitch Rack for bikes and a Model Y Ski/Snowboard Carrier for Hitch Rack. The hitch rack attaches directly to the 2” hitch receiver.
The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs. When carrying bicycles, skis or other items on the Model Y Hitch Rack, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded.