Mechanical Design Engineer - Drive Unit Structures
Structures Design Engineers in Tesla’s Drive Systems Engineering Team are responsible for the design, release and launch of structural components for Tesla Vehicle Drive Units. In addition, Structures Design Engineers are responsible for the architectural layout and integration of Tesla Drive Units into the broader Vehicle Packaging Space. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class drive units in terms of performance, cost, and manufacturability. Components of particular importance include transmission housings, motor housings, motor mounts, gaskets, elastomeric bushings, fasteners, as well as, the integration of these will all other Drive Unit subcomponents.
- Drive Unit system level design utilizing parametric modeling to evaluate performance trade-offs.
- Component design of complex castings with integrated lubrication and cooling systems, as well as, large numbers of internal and external vehicle interfaces.
- Finite element analysis.
- 2D drafting and 3D modeling utilizing CAD software.
- Statistical analysis for component stack up requirements.
- Component level testing for performance, durability, reliability, and variability.
- Supplier coordination for high volume contract manufacturing.
- Component quality troubleshooting resulting in supplier corrective action.
- Production support for assembly of Drive Unit components including process and tool development to achieve equipment performance requirements.
- Test specification design.
- Experience in rotating machinery design, casting design, or EV powertrain design.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling and 2D drafting within a product development environment (CATIA V5 preferred).
- Basic understanding and experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (Fluency Preferred).
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.