Metrology Development Engineer, Cell Engineering
Telsa’s cell manufacturing engineering group is looking for a highly-motivated metrology engineer to accelerate our next generation battery cell manufacturing program. This role will identify, develop and scale up manufacturing metrology systems within a cross-functional engineering team responsible for the development lifecycle and launch into manufacturing.
The battery cell is a critical component in Tesla vehicles and storage systems. This role will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to our products. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. The ideal candidate should be ready to push their limits, as they join in highly motivated and capable team to make unbelieve things into reality.
- Drive development of new/innovative manufacturing metrology from proof-of-concept through to full scale production to improved battery quality, performance and/or cost
- Ensure production lines have the right process controls which are well-defined, high throughput, robust and low-cost. Drive metrology commissioning on new production lines
- Characterize existing processes, establish controls for critical parameters, improve process robustness to variation
- Get hands-on with pilot process equipment to continuously improve the process & metrology sequence and understand the fundamentals of how it works, and drive manufacturability
- Establish process controls for SPC and develop process related OCAPs
- Develop and manage PFMEA risk assessments to prioritize process improvement projects and ensure adequate metrology and controls are in place.
- Build process documentation to accurately define the process to cross-functional teams (equipment, quality, production, etc.)
- Ability to model holistic process costs using bottoms-up system approach
- Either a BS with 6+ years’ relevant physical science experience or an MS with 3+ years relevant experience. Senior roles available for more experienced candidates
- Strong understanding of engineering fundamentals and ability to apply them towards manufacturing process development
- Demonstrated experience developing manufacturing metrology for new and unique products
- Demonstrated experience introducing new equipment and new metrology into a production environment
- Work collaboratively within a cross-function development team.
- Proficient in data analysis / interpretation and presentation of experimental data
- General-purpose programming with at least one high-level language
- Experience with one or more of:
- Vision systems including illumination design, imaging, integration, and visual optics
- Real-time sensor system design and characterization
- Optical or photonic system design for manufacturing
- Roll to roll coating processes
- Continuous wet deposition processes
- Dry powder handling and processing
- Automated mechanical assembly
- Power electronics
- Industrial chemical processing
- Battery manufacturing (li-ion or other chemistry)
- Industrial laser processing
- Long-term reliability testing
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.