Sr. Equipment Development Engineer, Cell Engineering
Telsa’s cell manufacturing engineering group is looking for a highly-motivated equipment development engineer to accelerate our next-generation battery cell manufacturing program. This role will be involved in the design, development, commissioning and ramping of high-throughput equipment, while working in a cross-functional team to test, validate, and roll-out process and product design changes.
The battery cell is a critical component in Tesla vehicles and storage systems. This role will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to our products. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. The ideal candidate should be ready to push their limits, as they join in a highly motivated and capable team to make unbelievable things into reality.
- Drive design, commissioning ramp of a complex manufacturing tool that is the first of its kind at Tesla
- Work collaboratively as the equipment expert to ensure production lines run in a safe, efficient manner producing high-quality parts.
- Become owner/subject matter expert to drive equipment-related process improvement including detailed troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Troubleshoot and recover processes by PLC, HMI, or tool management software, and implement changes/improvements
- Build training material, maintenance routines, and related documentation for equipment life cycle management
- Lead safety and ergonomic improvements to production equipment which meets or exceeds regulations or best practices.
- Identify equipment critical spare parts and ensure sufficient coverage to prevent extended downtime situations
- Participate in supplier/ internal equipment buyoffs
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time and uptime.
- Develop and manage FMEA risk assessments to prioritize equipment improvement projects and ensure sufficient repair strategies.
- Provide hands-on support to the maintenance team to troubleshoot and resolve extended downtime situations.
- Either a BS with 6+ years’ relevant experience or an MS with 3+ years relevant experience in interdisciplinary/integrated engineering, manufacturing engineering, or equivalent
- Evidence of exceptional ability.
- Strong engineering foundations. Aptitude to learn
- Demonstrated experience ramping equipment into manufacturing - automation equipment, web handling, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls, and data capture
- Demonstrated experienced solving complex electromechanical and software systems with limited documentation to debug issues, build process know-how, and kick off improvement projects
- Structured thinking and problem-solving abilities. Proven through a number of root cause analysis following a data-driven approach, statistical software (JMP) a plus
- 2D ACAD experience in creating/validating layouts, tooling drawings, Pneumatic and electrical schematics
- Experience with robot programming, backup, and restoration a plus
- Experience in automotive or high volume manufacturing is highly desired
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 510-602-3960 or send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.