Model S Roof Rack Installation Support
The Model S Roof Rack was designed and engineered from the ground up for maximum aerodynamic efficiency, minimal interior noise and impact to range. The ultra-sleek attachment mechanism featuring die-cast towers and integrated locks makes for easy installation at home while blending in seamlessly with the car.
The aluminum powder-coated cross bars feature T-slots to seamlessly mount compatible attachments such as ski racks, bike racks and cargo boxes.
Compatible roof racks are available in the Tesla Shop or from Tesla Service for Model S cars with a Glass Roof built on or after February 11, 2019. A retrofit option is available for Model S cars with a Glass Roof built before February 11, 2019.
Frequently Asked Questions
I already have a Model S. Can I still buy a roof rack?
- Model S (Glass Roof)
- Any Model S built on February 11, 2019 or afterwards requires the roof rack only.
- Model S vehicles equipped with the full glass roof but built prior to February 11, 2019 will require a retrofit performed by Tesla Service prior to the installation of this roof rack. Contact your local Service Center for retrofit details.
- Model S (Panoramic Roof): Not eligible for this product. A separate roof rack was previously sold but no longer available.
- Model S (Metal Roof): Not eligible for this product.
How is the roof rack installed? Do I need to visit a Service Center?
The roof rack can be easily installed at home. Please follow the installation instructions contained within the Owner’s Manual:
Does the roof rack system lock in place?
Yes, it does. An integrated security system locks each tower to the roof of your Model S.
What is included with the roof rack?
Each roof rack comes with the equipment required for installation and locking, including installation instructions.
Does Tesla offer any attachments for the roof rack?
Tesla does not offer attachments through our shop, but the roof rack is compatible with many attachments that are available in the market. The aluminum cross bars on the roof rack feature T-slots to seamlessly mount compatible attachments such as ski racks, bike racks and cargo boxes.
How much weight can I put on the roof rack?
- Model S (Glass Roof): The maximum load rating of the roof rack is 150lbs. This includes the weight of any attachments as well.
- Model S (Panoramic Roof): The maximum load rating of the roof rack is 165lbs. This includes the weight of any attachments as well.
What is the warranty on the roof rack?
The warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct any manufacturing defects that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years from the date of purchase.
How long after I order the Model S Roof Rack can I expect it to be delivered?
Visit Tesla Shop Support for more information on all online orders, including your Model S Roof Rack payment, order processing and shipment tracking.