Using Exterior Door Handles
Use your thumb to push the wide part of the door handle. The handle pivots toward you, and you can open the door by pulling the handle or pulling the edge of the door.
The handle retracts automatically.
Opening Doors from the Interior
Model Y doors are electrically powered. To open a door while sitting inside, press the button located at the top of the interior door handle while pushing the door open.
Interior Locking and Unlocking
While sitting inside Model Y, you can lock and unlock all doors and trunks by touching the lock icon on the touchscreen.
You can also unlock the doors by pressing the Park button on the end of the drive stalk a second time. Pressing this button once engages Park and pressing it again unlocks the doors.
Walk-Away Door Lock
Doors and trunks can automatically lock when you walk away carrying your phone key or paired key fob. To turn this feature on or off, touch .
Model Y does not automatically lock if:
- You check the Exclude Home checkbox and Model Y is parked at the location you have designated as Home. For details on how to designate a location as Home, see Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations.
- A phone key or paired key fob is detected inside Model Y.
- A door or trunk is not fully closed.
- The phone key's Bluetooth setting is turned off.
- If Model Y detects an authenticated key for several minutes after you exit the vehicle and close all doors, Walk-Away Lock disables and doors do not lock when you walk away. In this case, you must manually lock your vehicle until after your next drive.
- The driver does not use the driver door to get out of the vehicle.
Drive Away Locking
Model Y automatically locks all doors (including the trunks) when your driving speed exceeds 8 km/h.
Driver Door Unlock Mode
Enabling Model Y. The driver door unlocks only if a key is present on the driver side of the vehicle and not the passenger side. To unlock the remaining doors, long press the button located at the top of the interior driver door handle, use the touchscreen, mobile app or press the key fob a second time.only unlocks the driver door when you first unlock
Car Left Open Notifications
To receive a mobile notification if a door, trunk and/or window is left open or if Model Y is left unlocked unexpectedly, touch .
Model Y has child locks on the rear doors to prevent them from being opened using the interior release buttons. On the touchscreen, touch . You can choose Both to engage the child lock on both rear doors, or you can choose Left or Right to engage it on just a specific door.
Unlock on Park
When you stop Model Y and engage Park, you can choose to unlock all doors. To turn this feature on or off, touch .