The following instructions assume you are using an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter). If jump starting Model S using another vehicle, refer to the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.
Follow these steps:
Ensure you have an external power supply. After opening the hood:
- Remove the maintenance panel.
- Find the positive (+) and negative (-) jump posts.
- Release the cover from the red positive (+) jump post, and then connect the low voltage power supply's red positive (+) cable to the red positive (+) jump post.
- Connect the low voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable to the vehicle.
- Turn on the external power supply (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). Touch the touchscreen to wake it up.NoteIt may take several minutes to receive enough power to wake up the touchscreen.
- When external low voltage power is no longer required, disconnect both cables, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
- On top of the low voltage battery, push the connector housing towards the electrical connector so that the electrical connector engages the low voltage battery.
- On top of the low voltage battery, push down the locking tab that attaches the electrical connector to the connector housing.
- Replace the maintenance panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
- Close the hood.