Learn more about what to expect when you are nearing the end of your lease.
Upgrade to a New Tesla
Tesla products get better over time with over-the-air software updates and our newest cars come with all our latest options—including faster acceleration, longer range, dual motor all-wheel drive and enhanced interior styling.
Once your current lease has ended, contact us to learn more about your upgrade options.
Purchase Your Tesla
You may be eligible to purchase your leased Tesla. Review your lease agreement to see if you qualify.
If your vehicle is eligible, follow these steps to begin the purchase process:
- Contact us for a current customer buyout quote.
- Once received, Tesla will ask you to confirm your intent to move forward as well as your registration address.
- Tesla will prepare a purchase packet with a good through date matching that of the buyout quote. All parties listed on the lease agreement must sign the purchase packet. A vehicle inspection may be required based on local requirements.
- Send payment to Tesla for the full quote amount. Funds must be received by the good through quote date listed on the purchase packet. Payment instructions are included in the purchase packet.
- Once funds are received, Tesla will review your documents, process payment and finalize the purchase.
- Ownership transfer documents will be mailed to you upon completion.
Contact us for additional information.
Return Your Tesla
Tesla will contact you 30-60 days prior to your maturity date to complete your final inspection and schedule your drop-off appointment. Contact us with any questions on the return process.
You may be able to avoid additional costs by repairing any excess wear and tear prior to your final inspection. If you make repairs after submitting your inspection, please keep a copy of the repair receipt.
- Review Wear and Tear: Review any excess wear and tear on your vehicle with our Excess Wear and Use Guide.
- Complete Self-Inspection: Complete your self-inspection form, which will ask you to submit photos of your vehicle to determine potential excess wear charges.
- Schedule Drop-off: Contact us to schedule a drop-off appointment at your local delivery center. Please bring the following to your drop-off appointment:
After your return, you will be billed for any remaining charges to meet your lease obligations.
Extend Your Lease
If your account is in good standing, you can apply for a lease extension for up to 6 months beyond your original lease-end date. Please note that lease extensions can only be granted once.
To apply for an extension, you must be:
To apply for a lease extension, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Tesla Account.
- Select ‘Manage,’ then ‘Glovebox.’
- Download and review the extension document located in your ‘Glovebox’ section.
- Sign and date the form, then email a completed copy to Tesla for review.
Note: By signing and dating the form, you are acknowledging the updated lease end date and allotted monthly mileage of your contract.
- If all eligibility requirements have been met, you will receive a fully executed extension from Tesla. Please note, your lease extension is not final until you receive these documents from Tesla.
Lease extensions are defaulted to 6 months, but you can return prior to the end date of the extension and only be responsible for the monthly lease payments already accrued. Please note that you will be billed for the entire month in which you return the vehicle. Tesla will not prorate the monthly payment to the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I return my vehicle early?
Yes. If you are interesting in ending your lease early, review the options available to terminate your lease.
How do I extend my warranty?
You may be eligible to extend your warranty by purchasing an Extended Service Agreement.
If I have to wait for my new Tesla, will I get a loaner car?
Loaner cars are not available during the transition period. If you are in need of a car sooner than the estimated delivery timeframe, local inventory may be an alternative option.
I don’t live near a Service Center. How can I return my Tesla?
Transportation may be provided to retrieve your Tesla by a per-mile fee. Contact your local Tesla Service Center for more information.