Windshield Wiper Blades, Jets and Fluid
Topping Up Windshield Washer Fluid
The only reservoir into which you can add fluid is the windshield washer fluid reservoir, which is located behind the front trunk. When the level is low, a message displays on the touchscreen.
To top up the washer fluid:
- Open the hood.
- Clean around the filler cap before opening it to prevent dirt from entering the reservoir.
- Open the filler cap.
- While avoiding spilling, fill the reservoir until the fluid level is visible just below the filler neck. The reservoir has a capacity of 4.5 liters.
- Wipe up any spills immediately and wash the affected area with water.
- Reinstall the filler cap.
Checking and Cleaning Wiper Blades
Periodically clean the edge of the wiper blades and check the rubber for cracks, splits, and roughness. If damaged, replace the blade immediately to prevent damage to the glass and improve visibility.
Contaminants on the windshield, or on the wiper blades, can reduce the effectiveness of the wipers. Contaminants include ice, wax spray from car washes, washer fluid with bug and/or water repellent, bird droppings, tree sap, and other organic substances.
Follow these guidelines for cleaning:
- Clean the windshield and wiper blades using washer fluid, isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, or non-abrasive glass cleaner approved for use on automotive glass and rubber. Inappropriate products can cause damage or smears, and create glare on the windshield.
- Lift the wiper arm a short distance away from the windshield, just far enough to access the wiper blade. Do not lift a wiper arm beyond its intended position.
If the wipers remain ineffective after cleaning, replace the wiper blades.
Replacing Wiper Blades
- The blade on the driver's side must be 650 mm long and 500 mm long for the blade on the passenger's side.
- Ensure the connector on the replacement blade is the same as the original blade. Different connectors may prevent the replacement blade from connecting to the wiper arm on the vehicle.
You can purchase replacement wiper blades on the Tesla Shop.
To replace the wiper blades:
- Shift into Park and turn off the wipers.
- Touch to move the wipers to the service position.
- Lift the wiper arm a short distance away from the windshield, just far enough to access the wiper blade.CAUTIONWiper blades do not lock into a lifted position. Do not lift a wiper arm beyond its intended position.
- Place a towel between the wiper arm and windshield to avoid scratching or cracking the windshield.
- Hold the wiper arm and press the locking tab while sliding the blade down the arm.
- Align the new wiper blade on the wiper arm and slide it toward the end of the wiper arm until it locks into place.
- Turn Wiper Service Mode off to return the wipers to their normal position.
Cleaning Washer Jets
If a windshield washer becomes blocked, use a thin strand of wire to clear any blockages from the nozzles.