Before using your phone or other Bluetooth device with Model Y, you must pair it. Pairing sets up Model Y to communicate with supported Bluetooth-capable devices. You can pair up to ten Bluetooth phones. Unless you've specified a specific phone as a Priority Device, or if the phone specified as Priority Device is not within range, Model Y always connects to the last phone that was used (provided it is within range). To connect to a different phone, see Connecting to a Paired Device.
Pairing a Bluetooth Device
Pairing allows you to use your Bluetooth-capable phone hands-free to make and receive phone calls, access your contact list, recent calls, etc. It also allows you to play media files from your phone. Once a phone is paired, Model Y can connect to it whenever the phone is within range.
To pair a phone, follow these steps while sitting inside Model Y:
- Ensure both the touchscreen and the phone are powered on.
- On your phone, enable Bluetooth and ensure it is discoverable.NoteOn some phones, this may require you to go to Bluetooth Settings for the remainder of the procedure.
- Touch the Bluetooth icon located at the top of the Controls screen.
- On the touchscreen, touch . The Bluetooth settings screen displays a list of all available Bluetooth devices within operating distance.
- Choose the phone (or device) with which you want to pair. When pairing a phone, the Bluetooth settings screen displays a randomly generated number. Your phone also display a number.
- Check that the number displayed on your phone matches the number on the Bluetooths settings screen. Then, on your phone, confirm that you want to pair.
- If prompted on your phone, specify whether you want to allow Model Y to access your personal information, such as calendar, contacts and media files (see Importing Contacts and Recent Calls).
When paired, Model Y automatically connects, and the Bluetooth settings screen displays the Bluetooth symbol next to the device name to indicate that the connection is active.
You can display the Bluetooth settings screen at any time and change the settings associated with a connected device. For example, you can designate a connected phone as the Priority Device. This is useful in situations where you have connected more than one phone, and both phones are frequently used in Model Y at the same time. Model Y automatically attempts to connect to the priority device before others. If a priority device is not specified, or is not within range, Model Y connects to the most recently used phone (if applicable).
Importing Contacts and Recent Calls
Once a phone is paired, use the Bluetooth settings screen to specify whether you want to allow access to your phone’s contacts, recent calls and text messages. If you allow access, you can use the phone app to make calls and send messages to people in your list of contacts and on your recent calls list (see Phone, Calendar, and Web Conferencing). Before contacts can be imported, you may need to either set your phone to allow syncing, or respond to a popup on your phone to confirm that you want to sync contacts. This varies depending on the type of phone you are using. For details, refer to the documentation provided with your phone.
Unpairing a Bluetooth Device
If you want to disconnect your phone, or Bluetooth device, and use it again later, simply touch Disconnect on the Bluetooth settings screen. If you no longer want to use your device with Model Y, touch Forget This Device. Once you forget a device, you must pair it again if you want to use it with Model Y (see Pairing a Bluetooth Device).
Connecting to a Paired Device
Model Y automatically connects to a phone that you designated as Priority Device on the Bluetooth settings screen. If you have not set a phone as a priority, Model Y connects to the last phone to which is was connected, provided it is within operating range and has Bluetooth turned on. If the last phone is not within range, it attempts to connect with the next phone that it has been paired with.
To connect to a different phone, touch the Bluetooth icon at the top of the Controls screen. The Bluetooth settings screen displays a list of paired phones. Choose the phone you want to connect to, then touch Connect. If the phone you want to connect to is not listed, you must pair the phone. See Pairing a Bluetooth Device.
When connected, the Bluetooth settings screen displays the Bluetooth symbol next to the phone's name to show that Model Y is connected to the phone.