Dashcam records video footage of your vehicle's surroundings when driving Model Y. Use Dashcam to record driving incidents or other notable events, like you would for an external dashcam on other vehicles.
To protect your privacy, video recordings are saved locally to a formatted USB flash drive's onboard memory. Recordings are not sent to Tesla. Model Y does not record videos when Dashcam is Off.
How to Use Dashcam
- Format a USB flash drive. Dashcam requires a properly formatted USB drive inserted in your vehicle's USB port (Tesla recommends using the glovebox USB port, if equipped) to store and retrieve footage. Vehicles manufactured beginning approximately 2020 are equipped with a pre-formatted USB flash drive in the glove box. There are two ways to format the flash drive:
- Insert the flash drive into the USB port and navigate to Model Y automatically formats the flash drive for you. .
- Format the flash drive on a computer.
See USB Drive Requirements for Recording Videos for more information.
- Insert the USB flash drive into
your vehicle's USB port, preferably the one in the glovebox.NoteFor some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.
- Enable Dashcam by touching
. Dashcam allows you to choose how and when footage is saved. You can choose between:
- Auto: Dashcam automatically saves a recording to the USB drive when Model Y detects a safety-critical event, such as a collision or airbag deployment. When Auto is selected, detection can vary and is subject to your vehicle's power, sleep, and Autopilot state.NoteSeveral factors determine whether Dashcam automatically saves a recording of a safety-critical event (for example, amount of force, whether or not airbags deploy, etc.). Do not rely on Dashcam to automatically record all safety-critical events.
- Manual: You must manually touch the Dashcam icon to save a recording of the most recent ten minutes of footage.
- On Honk: When you press the horn, Dashcam saves a recording of the most recent ten minutes of footage. You can enable this along with Auto or Manual.
- Auto: Dashcam automatically saves a recording to the USB drive when Model Y detects a safety-critical event, such as a collision or airbag deployment. When Auto is selected, detection can vary and is subject to your vehicle's power, sleep, and Autopilot state.
- Once enabled, the Dashcam icon indicates when footage is saved. You can also view the status of the Dashcam icon in Controls:The icon changes to show the status of Dashcam:RECORDING: Dashcam is recording. To save video footage, touch the icon. To pause recording, press and hold the icon.PAUSED: Dashcam is paused. To resume recording, touch the icon. To avoid losing video footage, pause Dashcam before removing the flash drive.NoteOnce saved, Dashcam saves the last 10 minutes of footage.
- To turn Dashcam off, navigate to Auto, Manual, or On Honk, Dashcam automatically enables every time you drive. . If set to