Parts and Accessories
Parts, Accessories, and Modifications
Use only genuine Tesla parts and accessories. Tesla performs rigorous testing on parts to ensure their suitability, safety, and reliability. Purchase these parts from Tesla, where they are professionally installed and where you can receive expert advice about modifications to Model S. Accessories are available for purchase from Tesla stores or online at www.tesla.com.
Tesla is unable to assess parts manufactured by other distributors and therefore accepts no responsibility if you use non-Tesla parts on Model S.
If your Model S is in a collision, contact Tesla or a Tesla-approved Body Shop to ensure that it is repaired with genuine Tesla parts. Tesla has selected and approved body shops that meet strict requirements for training, equipment, quality, and customer satisfaction.
Some repair shops and insurance companies might suggest using non-original equipment or salvaged parts to save money. However, these parts do not meet Tesla's high standards for quality, fit and corrosion resistance. In addition, non-original equipment and salvaged parts (and any damage or failures they might cause) are not covered by the warranty.
Replacing Cabin Air Filters
Model S has an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust, and other particles from entering the cabin through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing these filters every 2 years (every year in China). Cabin filters can be purchased at the Tesla Shop.
To replace the cabin filter:
- Turn off the climate control system.
- Move the front passenger seat fully rearwards.
- Slowly and gently pull down the footwell cover to release the magnets, then disconnect the electrical harness on the right side of the cover. Set the footwell cover aside.
- Squeeze the cabin filter door lock to release it, and then remove and set the door aside.
- Note the direction of air flow printed on the cabin filter. The arrows on the filter should face toward the rear of the vehicle.
- Slide the filter out of the HVAC module.
- Ensuring that the arrows on the new filter face toward the rear of the vehicle, insert the new cabin filter into the HVAC module.
- Slide the cabin filter door onto the HVAC module, and then push the door to lock it.NoteEnsure the lock is fully engaged and the door is sealed shut.
- Position the front passenger footwell cover on the vehicle and connect the electrical harness to the cover.
- Install the front passenger footwell cover, making sure the magnets (x3) are locked into position.
- Move the front passenger seat back to its original position.
Using RFID Transponders
When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model S, place the transponder on the bottom corner of the passenger side of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.