The following instructions assume you are using an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter). If jump starting Model X using another vehicle, refer to the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.
Follow these steps:
- Open the hood (see Opening Hood with No Power).
- Remove the maintenance panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
- On top of the low
voltage battery, lift the locking tab
that attaches the electrical connector to the connector housing.NoteThe appearance of the electrical connector and connector housing may vary, but the procedure remains the same.
- On top of the low voltage battery, pull the connector housing to the left. The electrical connector releases from the low voltage battery.
- Lay a dry cloth on top of the metal beams surrounding the positive (+) terminal connector. The terminal connector is located under the wiper motor and white, rectangular fluid reservoir.
Reach around and under the wiper motor to release the cover from
the red positive (+) jump post, and then connect the low
voltage power supply's red positive
(+) cable to the red positive (+) jump post.
CAUTIONTo avoid damaging Model X, do not allow the positive cable to contact other metal components.NoteDepending on date of manufacture, the cover and the red positive (+) jump post location may differ slightly.
For vehicles manufactured prior to approximately January 2023:
For vehicles manufactures after approximately January 2023:
- Connect the low voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable to the vehicle in the location shown.
- Turn on the external power supply
(refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). Touch the touchscreen to wake it up.NoteIt may take several minutes to receive enough power to wake up the touchscreen.
- When external low voltage power is no longer required, disconnect both cables, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
- On top of the low voltage battery, push the connector housing towards the electrical connector so that the electrical connector engages the low voltage battery.
- On top of the low voltage battery, push down the locking tab that attaches the electrical connector to the connector housing.
- Replace the maintenance panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
- Close the hood.