In addition to the instrument panel, Model X is equipped with a front and rear touchscreen.
Use the touchscreen to control many features that, in traditional cars, are controlled using physical buttons (for example, adjusting the cabin heating and air conditioning, headlights, etc.). You also use the touchscreen to control media, navigate, use entertainment features, and customize Model X to suit your preferences. For hands-free access to common touchscreen controls, use voice commands (see Voice Commands).
If the touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior, you can restart it (see Restarting the Touchscreen).
- Navigation: Change the orientation of the map, find or navigate to a destination, and change navigation settings (see Maps and Navigation).
Status bar: This area on the top of the touchscreen displays the time of day, the outside temperature, and the following icons: 4:20 pmYour vehicle automatically updates the time. If the time is incorrect, confirm your vehicle has internet and GPS connectivity with the latest software.Displays on the touchscreen status bar only when Model X detects a programmed HomeLink within range, and the touchscreen is not already displaying the HomeLink screen or popup. See Smart Garage.Displays on the touchscreen status bar only when Model X is parked. Add, configure (including Valet Mode and Use Easy Entry), or quickly switch driver profiles. Driver profiles can also be accessed from the top of any Controls screen. See Driver Profiles.Available when Model X is parked, touch to manually enable or disable Sentry Mode for the current drive cycle. To automatically turn Sentry Mode on (or off) every time you leave your vehicle, enable the setting from . See Sentry Mode for more information.NoteIf you turn Sentry Mode on or off from, the shortcuts on the vehicle's touchscreen and mobile app will only work for the current drive cycle.
- Drive mode strip: Use to shift into Park, Reverse, Neutral, or Drive. The drive mode strip always displays on the touchscreen when you touch Controls (see Shifting).
Controls: Control various features and customize Model X to suit your preferences. The Controls screen appears over the map. Touch an option on the Controls screen to display the various settings and options associated with the chosen option. Swipe to close.NoteYou can also access Controls by touching anywhere on the side of the touchscreen closest to the driver and swiping open.NoteMany vehicle controls, settings, and preferences (such as climate, media, and navigation) can be adjusted hands-free using voice commands (see Voice Commands).
- Climate controls (driver): Use the left and right arrows to decrease/increase cabin temperature. Touch Split on the popup to display separate controls for the driver and passenger. Touch the temperature icon to customize climate control settings (see Operating Climate Controls). The passenger climate controls display when temperature controls have been Split to provide separate controls for the driver and passenger.
- My Apps: For one-touch access to frequently used apps and controls, you can choose what displays here. See Customizing My Apps.
App Launcher: Touch the app launcher to open the app tray. Then touch any app to open it. The app you choose displays on top of the map. To close an app, drag it downward.NoteYou cannot completely close Media Player. When you drag Media Player down, it displays Mini-Player which allows you see what's playing, pause/play, and skip reverse/forward.
- Recent App(s): Displays the most recently used app(s). The number of recent apps displayed here depends on how many apps have been added to My Apps. If you add the maximum number of apps to My Apps, only the most recent app displays.
- Climate controls (passenger): Displays when temperature controls have been Split to provide separate controls for the driver and passenger.
- Volume Control: Controls the volume of media player and phone calls (see Volume Controls). The volume of navigation instructions is controlled separately (see Maps and Navigation).
- Media Player: See Media.
The bottom of the touchscreen may also display the following:
Popup Messages and Vehicle Alerts
Popup messages appear at the bottom of the touchscreen. For example, a seat belt reminder appears if a seat belt is unfastened in an occupied seat, an alert appears to notify you of an incoming phone call, a text message appears (when applicable), and voice commands appear when in use. If applicable, touch options from these popup messages (for example, accept/decline a phone call, choose an option from the headlight menu, etc.). To dismiss a popup message, swipe it downward.
If an alert appears on your vehicle's touchscreen, touch Learn More for more details regarding the alert and how it can be resolved. You can view a list of vehicle alerts and notifications by touching the bell icon at the top of Controls.
Tilt the Touchscreen (if equipped)
To tilt the touchscreen, navigate to Controls, then touch the display icon to choose the desired position.
Restarting the Touchscreen
You can restart your touchscreen if it is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior.
- Shift into Park.
- Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering yoke (or steering wheel) until the touchscreen turns black. Pressing the brake pedal while holding down the scroll buttons does not have any impact and is not required.
- After a few seconds, the Tesla logo appears. Wait approximately 30 seconds for the touchscreen to restart. If the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior after a few minutes, try power cycling the vehicle (if possible). See Power Cycling the Vehicle.
The rear touchscreen provides rear passengers with access to:
Temperature: Touch the arrows to decrease/increase cabin temperature.NoteYou can also use the front touchscreen to adjust climate settings in the rear cabin (see Adjusting Climate Control Settings).
- Power: Touch to turn the rear climate control system on or off.
- Rear fan: Touch to turn the rear fan on or off, to adjust fan speed and control the direction of air flow from the rear vents (see Adjusting the Front and Rear Vents).
- Seats: Control rear seat heaters and move the front seats forward/rearward using the arrows.
- Media: Play, pause, skip or rewind through the currently playing song (see Media).
- Video: Access video streaming services.
Auto: If Auto is enabled and a passenger is detected, the set temperature is maintained for the rear cabin. NoteEnable Sync on the rear tab of the front touchscreen's climate controls to set both the front and back cabin temperatures.
- Volume: Touch to adjust the volume.
Rear Screen Remote Control
Customizing My Apps
For one-touch access to commonly used apps and controls, you can customize what displays in the My Apps area on the touchscreen's bottom bar:
- Enter customization mode by touching and holding any app or control in the My Apps area. If this area is empty, touch the App Launcher.
- Simply drag any app or control from the app tray onto the My Apps area in the bottom bar.NoteSeat heaters selected from the app tray appear next to the temperature, instead of in the My Apps area.
Customizing Display and Sound Settings
Touchto adjust display settings to suit your preferences:
- Appearance: Customize the display to be Dark or Light. When set to Auto, the brightness changes automatically based on ambient lighting conditions.
- Brightness: Drag the slider to manually control the brightness level. If Display Mode is set to Auto, the touchscreen further adjusts based on both the ambient lighting conditions and your brightness preference. Model X remembers your chosen brightness preference and adjusts the touchscreen accordingly.
- Screen Clean Mode: When enabled, your touchscreen darkens and temporarily disables to facilitate cleaning. Follow the onscreen instructions to exit Screen Clean Mode.
Touchscreen Language: Select the language that the touchscreen displays.NoteModel X must be in Park to change the language. When you change the language, you experience a brief delay as Model X shuts down and restarts the touchscreen.
- Voice Recognition Language: Choose the language to be used for voice commands.
Voice Navigation Language: Choose the language that the navigation system uses for spoken instructions.NoteFor languages that require a download, select the language in the dropdown list to initiate the download (Wi-Fi connection required).
- Lock Rear Display: Lock access to the rear touchscreen.
- Time: Choose to display time in either 12 or 24 hour format.
Energy Display: Choose to display remaining energy and charging units as either a percentage of battery energy remaining, or as an estimate of the distance you can drive.NoteWhen anticipating when you need to charge, use energy estimate as a general guideline only. Many factors have an impact on energy consumption. See Factors Affecting Energy Consumption.
- Distance: Choose to display range using miles or kilometers.
- Temperature: Choose to display temperature using Fahrenheit or Celsius.
- Tire Pressure: Choose to display tire pressures using BAR or PSI.
In addition to customizing the display, you can enable Joe Mode to reduce the volume of all chimes that are not related to critical safety issues. Touchto enable.
Naming your Vehicle
To further personalize your vehicle, you can name it. Touch Model X. If your vehicle already has a name, simply touch the existing name to change it. Enter the new name in the popup and touch Save. The name of your Model X also appears in the Tesla mobile app.located on the right side of the touchscreen below the image of your
Erasing Personal Data
You can erase all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, HomeLink programming, etc.) and restore all customized settings to their factory defaults. This is useful when transferring ownership of Model X. Touch . Before erasing, Model X verifies your credentials by prompting you to enter the user name and password associated with your Tesla account.