To open the front trunk, ensure Model X is in Park, and then do one of the following before pulling the hood open:
- Touch on the touchscreen.
- Double-click the front trunk button on the key fob.
- Touch the front trunk button in the mobile app.
The instrument panel displays when a door, trunk, or liftgate is open.
The cargo weight should be distributed between the front and rear trunks.
The Model X hood is not heavy enough to latch under its own weight and applying pressure on the front edge or center of the hood can cause damage.
To properly close the hood:
- Lower the hood until the striker touches the latches.
- Place both hands on the front of the hood in the areas shown (in green), then press down firmly to engage the latches.
- Carefully try to lift the front edge of the hood to ensure that it is fully closed.
If a falcon wing door or the front trunk is left open when you attempt to shift out of Park, a notification requiring you to confirm your intent to drive appears on the touchscreen. The falcon wing doors may automatically close once you begin to accelerate. In addition, your vehicle speed is limited if you choose to keep the front trunk open while driving. It is your responsibility to ensure doors and trunks are properly closed before driving.
- Apply pressure only to the green areas shown. Applying pressure to the red areas can cause damage.
- Do not close the hood with one hand. Doing so applies concentrated force in one area and can result in a dent or crease.
- Do not apply pressure to the front edge of the hood. Doing so can crease the edge.
- Do not slam or drop the hood.
- To avoid scratches, don't have anything in your hands (keys). Jewelry can also cause scratches.
Interior Emergency Release
An illuminated interior release button inside the front trunk allows a person locked inside to get out.
Press the interior release button to open the front trunk, then push up on the hood.
Opening Hood with No Power
In the unlikely event that Model X has no low voltage power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen, key fob, or mobile app. To open the front trunk in this situation:
- Locate an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter).
- To remove the tow eye cover, insert a small, flat screwdriver into the top and bottom slots, release the snaps and pull the cover towards you.
- Pull the two wires out of the tow eye opening to expose both terminals.
- Connect the low voltage power supply's red positive (+) cable to the red positive (+) terminal.
- Connect the low
voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable to the black negative (-) terminal.NoteApplying external low voltage power to these terminals only releases the hood latches. You cannot charge the low voltage battery using these terminals.
- Turn on the external power supply (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). The hood latches are immediately released and you can now open the hood to access the front trunk area.
- Disconnect both cables, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
- If pulling the vehicle onto a flatbed truck, do not replace the tow eye cover yet. If necessary, install the tow eye cover by inserting the wires into the tow eye opening and aligning the tow eye cover into position and snapping it into place.