When enabled, your vehicle's cameras and sensors (if equipped) remain powered on and ready to record suspicious activity around your vehicle when Model X is locked and in Park. Think of Sentry Mode as an intelligent vehicle security system that alerts you when it detects possible threats.
If a threat is detected, Sentry Mode pulses the headlights, sounds the alarm, and displays a message on the touchscreen indicating that the cameras may be recording to inform individuals outside of the vehicle. You will receive an alert on your phone through the mobile app and footage of the event is saved to USB drive (if installed).
Sentry Mode is disabled by default. You can use voice commands or the Tesla mobile app to easily enable or disable Sentry Mode. To enable Sentry Mode using voice commands, say "Keep Tesla safe," "Keep my car safe," "Sentry on," or "Enable Sentry" (see Voice Commands).
Sentry Mode requires your Battery to be at least 20% charged. If the Battery falls below 20%, Sentry Mode turns off and the mobile app sends you a notification. Power consumption may increase when Sentry Mode is active.
How to Use Sentry Mode (Camera + App)
- Sentry Mode requires a properly formatted USB drive inserted in your vehicle's USB port (Tesla recommends using the glovebox USB port, if equipped) to store and retrieve footage. Vehicles manufactured beginning approximately 2020 are equipped with a pre-formatted USB drive in the glove box. There are two ways to format the USB drive:
- Insert the USB drive into the USB port and navigate to . Your vehicle automatically formats the USB drive for you.
- Format the USB drive on a computer. See USB Drive Requirements for Recording Videos for more information.
- Insert the USB drive into your vehicle's USB port.
- With your vehicle in Park, enable Dashcam by navigating to .
- Touch in the Controls tab turns red.
When enabled, Sentry Mode is idle, ready to sound the alarm and save a recording of the security event if triggered. See Viewing Video Recordings for information on viewing footage.
. Once enabled, the Sentry Mode icon
- To silence the security alarm and audio system when the alarm is triggered, navigate to . When enabled, Sentry Mode still sends a notification through the mobile app and saves the last 10 minutes footage.
- To manually enable/disable Sentry Mode until the next drive, touch the Sentry Mode icon in Controls. Sentry Mode is Off when the icon is no longer red.Turn Sentry Mode Off in to disable for more than one drive cycle.
How to Use Sentry Mode (App Only)
When Sentry mode is enabled and a security event is detected but without a USB drive plugged into a USB port, your vehicle alerts you through the mobile app, without any camera recordings.
Sentry Mode Settings
Exclude specific locations
In Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations for more information):, you can determine if you want Sentry Mode to not enable in certain locations (see
- Exclude Home: Sentry Mode does not automatically enable at the location set as Home in your Favorites list.
- Exclude Work: Sentry Mode does not automatically enable at the location set as Work in your Favorites list.
Exclude Favorites: Sentry Mode does not automatically enable at any location in your Favorites list.NoteTo recognize a location listed as Home, Work, or a Favorite, Model X must be parked within approximately 1,640 feet (500 meters) of the saved location.NoteTo set up your Home or Work location, touch Favorite, touch the star when viewing an address on the map.. To set up a
Manually turning Sentry Mode on or off using the touchscreen or the mobile app overrides your Home, Work, or Favorite exclusion preferences until the next time you drive.
Set Camera-Based Detection
When Camera-Based Detection is enabled, Sentry Mode uses the vehicle’s external cameras in addition to vehicle sensors to detect a security event while parked. If disabled, your vehicle only saves clips to the USB drive if a physical threat is detected. To adjust, touch .
View Live Camera
NoteView Live Camera requires premium connectivity. It also requires version 4.2.1 (or newer) of the Tesla mobile app is installed on a phone that has been paired as a key to Model X.
When Sentry Mode is enabled, use the mobile app to remotely view the area surrounding Model X as seen through the exterior cameras. To enable:
Touchon the touchscreen to see what Sentry Mode records in real-time. Ensure there are no occupants in the vehicle and all doors are locked. Then navigate to in the mobile app.
When View Live Camera is actively in use, Model X periodically flashes its exterior lights and displays a message on the touchscreen to notify others that the area surrounding the vehicle is being viewed through the cameras.
View Live Camera is limited to approximately one hour (or 15 minutes for some regions) of cumulative usage per day.
If Model X is equipped with a pedestrian warning speaker (see Pedestrian Warning System), you can press and hold the microphone button on the mobile app to transmit your voice through this speaker.You can also enable Dog Mode at the same time and switch the live camera view to see the interior camera on the mobile app. See Keep Climate On, Dog, and Camp for more information.NoteIf Dog and Sentry are enabled at the same time, Sentry defaults to Disable Sentry Sounds to protect your pet.NoteVideo quality can vary depending on network connectivity. No audio is captured.NoteThe live camera feed is fully encrypted and cannot be accessed by Tesla.
Viewing Video Recordings
If footage is saved, you can view the clips on the touchscreen or a computer.
When the USB drive runs out of storage space, video footage can no longer be saved. To prevent the USB drive from getting full, regularly move saved videos to another device and delete them from the USB drive.
Viewing on the Touchscreen
You can view recorded footage on the touchscreen when Model X is in Park. Touch the Dashcam icon located in the app launcher or the Dashcam icon on the Controls screen. Touch the menu icon in the top corner of the screen. The tabs display a list of all video clips, organized by location and timestamp. Pause, rewind, fast forward, and delete clips as needed.
Navigate toto delete all Dashcam and Sentry Mode footage.
Viewing on a Computer
Insert the USB drive into a computer and navigate to the TeslaCam (if equipped) folder.
The TeslaCam folder contains sub-folders:
- Saved Clips: Contains all recordings that are saved using Dashcam.
- Sentry Clips: Contains camera recordings from all Sentry Mode security events. If storage space on the USB drive becomes limited, the oldest Sentry Clips are deleted to provide space for new ones. Once deleted, you cannot retrieve them.