Tesla Backup Switch
Tesla Backup Switch is a new component in the Tesla Powerwall system that facilitates access to backup power. Backup Switch quickly and safely disconnects your home from the grid when a power outage is detected, automatically shifting your home’s energy use to backup power drawn from your Powerwall.
Backup Switch can be installed in whole home backup systems, not in partial backup systems. Tesla Backup Switch may not be approved by some utilities.
Why Backup Switch and Key Benefits
- Faster Powerwall Installation: Use of Tesla Backup Switch cuts Powerwall installation time from eight to ten hours down to about one hour
- Sleek Aesthetics: Backup Switch slips seamlessly behind your utility meter and can be installed with fewer additional electrical components compared to standard Powerwall installations
Utilities throughout the US have experienced unprecedented reliability challenges over the past several years. Extreme weather conditions resulting in longer grid outages have left hundreds of thousands of customers without power for days at a time.
In response to this reality, and the resulting increase in demand for backup power, Tesla has developed Backup Switch technology. Tesla Backup Switch streamlines deployment of Tesla Powerwall, so customers can more easily access solutions to safeguard their homes and families during outages.
|BACKUP SWITCH & POWERWALL+||BACKUP GATEWAY 2 & POWERWALL+|
Tesla Backup Switch was designed to simplify installation of your Powerwall system; it plugs into your meter socket panel directly behind the meter, where it controls your system’s connection to the grid.
Safety is of paramount importance. Backup Switch is part of Tesla’s energy storage system which is designed to provide backup power to the home. Tesla’s energy storage system and Backup Switch meet the following relevant safety requirements:
- IEEE 1547 intentional and unintentional islanding
- UL 1741 Power Control Systems (PCS)
- UL 414, UL 2735 and UL 916 safety standards
- Certified for use with any meter socket at full rate capacity of 200 A
For more information on operating your system with Backup Switch, see the Owner’s Manual for your system.