Removal & Reinstallation (R&R) is the process of temporarily removing solar panels or the entire system from your home and reinstalling them after reroofing, remodeling or relocation. R&R timelines may vary depending on the scope of work and crew availability, so we recommend starting the R&R process as far in advance as possible to help reduce work delays.
There are three types of R&R:
R&R Process Overview
- Initiate an R&R request. Whether you are requesting the removal of your system or the reinstallation, start the process by completing the R&R request form. For your convenience, the form can also be accessed via the Tesla app ('App' > 'Energy Site' > 'Support' > 'Get Help' > 'Other' > 'Removal & Reinstallation'). We will follow up on your request within approximately seven to ten business days. You can also chat with one of our specialists directly if you have questions on the R&R process. If you are changing your roof type, you must confirm that the new roof type is eligible for solar panel installation.
- Sign an HIA. A Home Improvement Agreement (HIA) is created for the removal and sent to you to review and sign. We coordinate the next steps for R&R upon receipt of the signed HIA.
Note: A separate HIA is needed for the removal and reinstallation completed by Tesla.
- Schedule your R&R date. After receiving the signed Removal HIA, an R&R Specialist will confirm the earliest availability for a crew in your area. While we aim to provide convenient scheduling, R&R timelines may vary based on crew bandwidth and availability.
- Removal process begins. We begin the removal of your solar panels from your roof.
Note: You are responsible for providing a safe location to store your solar panels while they are removed from your roof.
- Reinstallation process begins. After your roof work is complete, notify us that you are ready to begin the reinstallation of your solar panels. For your convenience, the form can also be accessed via the Tesla app ('App' > 'Energy Site' > 'Support' > 'Get Help' > 'Other' > 'Removal & Reinstallation'). We will follow up on your request within approximately seven to ten business days. Additionally, all residents must complete the required 30-day waiting period prior to reinstallation.
Note: We do not redesign your system layout for a standard R&R such as reroofing.
- Sign an HIA. A Home Improvement Agreement (HIA) is created for the reinstallation and sent to you to review and sign. We coordinate the next steps for R&R upon receipt of the signed HIA.
Home Improvement Agreement
For all types of R&R, you are required to sign a Home Improvement Agreement (HIA) before any work can begin. We will send you the appropriate HIA for your requested scope of work.
- Standard R&R: You have requested that we temporarily remove part or all of your solar energy system so that you can complete typical roof work. Your roof lines are not changing. See your energy contract for pricing. Contracts citing “competitive pricing” will be calculated considering the scope of work. Once you are ready to reinstall you solar system, we will generate a HIA for the reinstallation work.
- Custom R&R: You have requested that we temporarily remove part or all of your solar energy system so that you can complete work such as changing roof lines, remodeling your home or moving and relocating the system to your new home. Our Transfer team will review the scope of work to determine if a layout revision is required before the HIA is sent to you to review and sign.
- Additional Equipment: You have requested the installation of equipment that was not part of the original solar contract, including pest abatement, snow mitigation clips, rapid shutdown equipment, cellular gateway and more.
Note: This does not apply for requests to increase your system size or production output.
Roof Work (No Remodel)
This is the most common type of R&R, for which either part or all of your solar system must be removed before you can repair or reroof your home. With this R&R, your roof line remains the same and we will reinstall your system where it was originally installed. Before we can proceed with your R&R, you’ll need to confirm that your roof type is eligible for solar panel installation. Submit your R&R request to start the removal and/or reinstallation process via the Tesla app ('App' > 'Energy Site' > 'Support' > 'Get Help' > 'Other' > 'Removal & Reinstallation').
Note: A permit may be required to complete either the removal and/or reinstallation. The R&R Specialist will verify and any cost will be included in the HIA per your contract.
Working with Third-Party Contractors
You also have the option to hire a third-party contractor to complete your R&R. Consider the following factors when working with a third-party contractor:
- You don’t need us to approve the contractor or the scope of work. You can use a qualified service provider to perform R&R services, but we do recommend that you review your system’s limited warranty (Exhibit 2 under Section 4 of your contract).
- Should your contractor damage the system during removal or reinstallation, you are responsible for any repairs needed to the system. Additionally, your energy contract remains active, so you are still responsible for any monthly payments during this time, as detailed in your warranty.
- Let us know if you hire a contractor to complete this work, and we will send you the Removal and Reinstallation Waiver Letter to sign and share with your contractor. For some R&R jobs, such as for customers with Zep hardware, a contractor may require proprietary tools to remove and reinstall the solar panels and new mounting hardware. Instructions for ordering these tools and parts will be sent to you and your contractor via email.
Once your contractor has identified and requested the tools and/or parts for your job, we will generate and send a Sales Order Agreement to you. As the customer, you will be purchasing the parts at cost directly from Tesla. We will send an invoice and once paid, the order will be shipped to the specified address on the sales order agreement.
For this type of R&R, we will remove your solar system before you remodel your home and reinstall it once you’re done. When remodeling your home, especially if there are additions or changes to your roof line, there are additional steps and time constraints to consider. Reinstallation may require permits and design changes to your system. Submit your R&R request to start the removal and reinstallation process via the Tesla app ('App' > 'Energy Site' > 'Support' > 'Get Help' > 'Other' > 'Removal & Reinstallation').
Note: Even if we are able to reinstall the system according to the original design, we will still need to evaluate for possible structural limitations. Additions to your home may obstruct sunlight to your solar panels (shading) and can result in needing to relocate parts of your system to improve sun exposure. Depending on the final layout of your home, your system may not be able to generate the same amount of energy that it did prior to your remodel.
Additional Home Remodel Considerations
Consider the following when remodeling your home:
- Your remodeling plans and blueprints must be provided to our engineering team to evaluate how your system’s design and contract may be affected. Make sure they include:
- Roof pitch
- Truss calculations
- Roof type
- Roof obstructions
- Lumber type/Roof framing plan
- A dedicated Asset Control Specialist will contact you to review your plans and discuss R&R costs.
Note: Extensive remodeling may lead to additional costs.
- Once our engineering team has reviewed your project, we will send you a Remodel Contract for your review and signature. If you have a MyPower Loan, Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) or Solar Lease, your account balance must be current before the reinstallation process can begin.
- If your home is being demolished, we can store your solar system in a local warehouse until your rebuild is complete.
For this type of R&R, you are moving and request that we remove your solar system from your current home to reinstall it at your new home. Submit your R&R request to start the removal and reinstallation process.
Note: Relocation is only available when you have a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)/Lease Contract are selling the home on which the system is currently installed and you would like to bring your system to your new home, located in a serviceable area. See your solar agreement for details.
Eligible Roof Types
If you are considering changing your roof type, the new roof type must be eligible for solar panel installation. We currently install on the following roof types per state:
For Colorado Residents
Additional steps are required before R&R work can begin:
- For Colorado Customers: A copy of the passed roof inspection must be provided before we can schedule the reinstallation. After reroofing is complete, your roof must sit for 30 days with no additional work done to it. Following this waiting period, we can begin reinstallation.
- For All Remaining Customers: After reroofing is complete, your roof must sit for 30 days with no additional work done to it. Following this waiting period, we can begin reinstallation.
Roof Pitch Requirements
Roof pitch affects solar energy production as related to the solar panels’ orientation to the sun. Optimal solar energy production occurs when sunlight hits the solar panels at a right angle. See the pitch degree requirements below for each eligible roof type:
Note: We do not install solar panels on the following roof and structure types:
- Clay Tile
- Metal Tile
- Metal Shingles
- Tar & Gravel
- Wood Shake
- Ground Mounts